Titanium vs EAN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is from the UK "DIVER" mag, aug 09.

"The presents of some small titanium components inside the second stage of certain regulators does not in any way affect their use with nitrox.
Some incompatibility between oxygen and titanium has been found, but it occurs only at very high pressure, at high temperatures (over 80 deg Cel) and with a very high oxygen percentage in the mixture (90-100 percent).
So it could be a problem only with a titanium first stage that used pure oxygen in water too hot for a human to endure!"

This is on page 70 in the Kit Q&A.

This is from the UK "DIVER" mag, aug 09.

"The presents of some small titanium components inside the second stage of certain regulators does not in any way affect their use with nitrox.
Some incompatibility between oxygen and titanium has been found, but it occurs only at very high pressure, at high temperatures (over 80 deg Cel) and with a very high oxygen percentage in the mixture (90-100 percent).
So it could be a problem only with a titanium first stage that used pure oxygen in water too hot for a human to endure!"

This is on page 70 in the Kit Q&A.

That's generally true in static environments, but when the gas is dynamic and effected by higher than atmospheric ambient pressures, things can be quite different... after all, the oxygen partial pressure of EAN50 at 33 feet is the same as 100% O2 at the surface.

While I'm more than willing to concede that there's a low likelihood of any problem when using recreational nitrox mixes <EAN40, if it were only a possible problem under the conditions you cite, the diver from San Diego would still be wearing his original skin. I certainly wouldn't recommend a titanium reg for any mix with a greater fO2 than recreational nitrox.

Ahhh - A 47 year old paper. If references are going to be quoted, this would be a more appropriate source: Amazon.com: Materials Properties Handbook: Titanium Alloys (06005G): E. W. Collings, Gerhard Welsch: Books

Unless I missed something, the properties of titanium haven't changed much in the past 50 (or 50,000) years. That aside, a link to where I can buy a reference book isn't a reference quote. Do you have something useful from that book to add?

Here's an update on the kit to upgrade the T2 into a T2x:

I just got off the phone with Dave at Atomic Aquatics. There are actually four kits, depending on the age of the reg since they've made some changes to the T2 over the years. Mine's fairly new--I bought it last fall--so the kit cost is $75. I didn't ask but it sounded like the cost varies depending on the kit.

He confirmed that the upgrade resolves the phantom nitrox dedication issue. :acclaim:

Not surprisingly, the kit doesn't include the engraved piece. Oh well, it was worth a shot. :sigh_2:

I'll swing by my LDS this afternoon and have them order it for me.

you think they'd do the engraving at an extra cost...

I'm glad I got my brand new spankin' T2x ! but honestly, who cares about the engraving... most people would overlook it anyways!

When a manufacturer says that their titanium regs (or brass, stainless steel, etc.) are good for 40% Nitrox, I think that it would be wise to heed their advice. After all, they may just know what their equipment is capable of.

Unless I missed something, the properties of titanium haven't changed much in the past 50 (or 50,000) years. That aside, a link to where I can buy a reference book isn't a reference quote. Do you have something useful from that book to add?

I found the 50 year old testing to be tremendously interesting...with the understanding it was for LOX and not 40% Nitrox.

While it still needs some sort of ignition source (or friction).. it seems that in O2, Ti is directly combustable. Would think that having any directly in the hp gas steam would be a bad idea.

The Titanium used on LOX Tanks, aircraft, bicycles, glasses, etc are Titanium Alloys. The production of Titanium Alloys and post production treatments following component manufacturing have certainly changed in the past 50 years.

I don't see any advantage to a titanium regulator. Stainless and brass regs have been used for years and years without corrosion issues. And if your really worried about weight, take the extra pack of jelly beans out of your bag.

As for titanium and O2, I would avoid it. I have seen a titanium fire rip through a CNC machine. The only way to put them out is let the metal burn up, or cut off the oxygen supply. Water does nothing. And that fire started with the part being drenched in coolant, normal atmosphere.

Back
Top Bottom