TiZip or YKK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 2 suits, 1 has the TiZip and the other suit has the plastic YKK. Both zippers are almost identical and they both have kept me dry for 100 + dives except when I've not been careful to make sure they are docked properly. Done that a couple of times, first was the TiZip in FL second time was the YKK in Georgian bay—nothing quite like G. Bay in May to teach one to take care docking that zip…

---------- Post added January 9th, 2015 at 05:48 PM ----------

That was the first time that I saw that video but DRIS also has their own video. Kinda cool right? About the same test.

Plastic tizip for me.

I would guess that leaks with the tizip are primarily caused by user error - i.e. not closing the zipper fully. I've had that happen to me a few times, and every time I checked, it was because I had forgotten to give the zip a firm tug to fully close it. Or had not lubed the closure section for some time. After I lube it and tug it firmly to close, the zip does not leak.

I don't have to worry about folding the drysuit compactly for packing. It's much lighter and easier to handle.

The fact that the zip is maintenance free clinches it for me. Just lube the closure before a dive trip, or every 3 months and it's good. Even if you forget and it springs a small leak, no big deal. Just lube it before your next dive and make sure it closes firmly and you're good to go.

After using it for awhile, you learn to recognize when the zip is fully closed. It "clicks" into place.

YKK Aquaseal Zipper both showing registered trademark symbols. I'm curious to find out how sales are versus their metal zipper. I have a feeling there was a noticeable drop in demand for the metal zipper.

(Edit) But taking a second look the YKK Aquaseal zipper's picture, it doesn't look that sturdy.

McNett might have a problem with that

2291_450x450.jpg

Last edited:
Fourth Element Argonaut has a YKK plastic zip.

Well the thread was about the zippers on the DUI suits. Congrats on a plastic YKK on your Fourth Element... :wink:

I ran over to Gamble Scuba in Florida, which is a shop that pretty much just fixes dry suits. The guy who runs it fixes so many dry suits he does it 7 days a week. He strongly advised against TiZips.

I've got a TiZip on my suit, so we'll see. But I suspect he has seen more failed zippers in a week than most of us have ever seen, so it's worth noting his opinion.

Back
Top Bottom