TMA about diving in Bohol.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zenvagabond

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm exploring the Philippines - so far, I've done Malapascua, PG, Moalboal and Subic Bay.

Bohol is next on my list - please tell me all about it!

Happy to accept any recommendations on best time to dive, operators, accommodation & packages, etc.

Thank you in advance!

When I first went there in 1997 only divers visited Alona Beach but the scene has changed dramatically. Back in those days there were hardly any structure built with anything other than local natural material. The opposite is the true I am afraid. And divers is easily out numbered by non-divers.
Choose your dive operators carefully! Ask them if they pump their own gas! If they don't then you better take a quick and deep sniff of the gas before putting your own regulator on it. Just remember compressed air is odourless. A lot of operators solely rely an outside source for the gas.
If you insist to go to Alona Beach then Sea Explorers or Atlantis are my suggestion. Atlantis is on the extreme end of the beach(right side if you look out to the sea) and has been around for many yrs. None of these two places are on the cheap side but at least you get good gas.

Can I steer you to Southern Leyte or even Sipalay?

Thanks for your reply.

" ... Can I steer you to Southern Leyte or even Sipalay? ...".

Yes - I am open to anywhere new!

If you like macro then Anilao is THE place.
I suggest you should do some research on these three places I had mentioned.
Anilao is dead easy to get to. But different story for the other two places.

We'll getting to Southern Leyte is now a lot easier using the ferry from Cebu , the boat trip for us was way more interesting and easy than the drive from Manila. BTW I would agree that Alona diving is not as good as Southern Leyte.

It is all depend on your time of arrival in Cebu.

I just spent a week and a bit at Pura Vida Cabilao and loved it. Very 'nice' diving with great walls and amazingly dense soft corals (kind of reminiscent of Fiji's soft corals to be honest). Good small fish life and the odd Giant Trevally or Dog Tooth Tuna. Turtles in the boat mooring area and a lovely sandy beach. It was glassy calm and perfect every day. You can also dive Oslob Whale sharks from Cabilao as a day trip and we loved the diving at Balicasag also. Highly recommended. Visit my gallery at https://photos.app.goo.gl/jEqEBe6CjlL2brSs1

I just spent a week and a bit at Pura Vida Cabilao and loved it. Very 'nice' diving with great walls and amazingly dense soft corals (kind of reminiscent of Fiji's soft corals to be honest). Good small fish life and the odd Giant Trevally or Dog Tooth Tuna. Turtles in the boat mooring area and a lovely sandy beach. It was glassy calm and perfect every day. You can also dive Oslob Whale sharks from Cabilao as a day trip and we loved the diving at Balicasag also. Highly recommended. Visit my gallery at https://photos.app.goo.gl/jEqEBe6CjlL2brSs1

Thanks Wiggsy - great photos too!

What did you think of the resort / dive op?

How many dives did you do?

I did about 16 dives - some of the keener ones did up to 21. Great dives - all of them. No dud sites at all. Dive operation is first class. The best dive boats ever and the best crews. Service with a smile - they put your tank on your back...you stand up and take a few steps to the ladder then one of the crew grabs your fins (they know which are which after the first day) and they put them on you. Same when you get back to the ladder. Fruit/coconut/coffee onboard. Fantastic dive centre and logistics board that clearly indicates where and when dives are on. Excellent quailty hire gear. Camera room is good (if I were being picky it would be 'nice' to have it air conditioned). The resort is beautiful - great rooms...superb views. 50 steps up from the beach to paradise but I'm 58 and unfit and there were no worries at all. Great food and a nice bar with good cocktails. The best aspect of Pura Vida Cabilao is Bigs - the manager - who did everything humanly possible to ensure we had a wonderful time. Highly recommended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom