TMJ dislocating constantly after diving - jaw support?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, the Comfo Bite mouthpiece has already been mentioned, and some people love them. They are smaller and don't rely on tooth pressure to retain the mouthpiece, but they may not solve the problem because your mouth still has to be open somewhat and you do have to apply some lip pressure. I had a student that was complaining of a sore jaw after her first checkout dive. I had one in the "Dive shop In A Box" that I had purchased as something just to have as an additional back up and put it on for her. She did not complain of jaw pain afterwards. They are a much cheaper option than my next suggestion.

You may have the best reason I have ever heard for a full faced mask. I like mine....I don't love mine. Clearing your ears is a little different and takes some getting used to, but you can breathe through your mouth or nose. They are a little bulky and harder to travel with, but it would be an ideal solution to your situation. Sometimes I use more air...sometimes I don't. Go figure... I use a traditional FFM for teammwork, but there is a model called a Spectrum that allows you to use your own standard second stage, they are a little cheaper and have a nose pocket to clear with in a traditional manner.

Check with your local diveshops about a test dive in a pool to see if you like one. Sometimes diveshops will offer free demos in their pools with them. They run about $600 and you can find them used pretty easily for about half that. There is all kinds of information out there, and some good videos on YouTube as well.

Edit-looks like Drfish beat me to it...

Neptune Space G.divers Integrated Mask

Spectrum Full Face Mask

Guardian Full Face Mask

Good luck,
Jay

I don't have TMJ but I found I was biting on the mouthpiece when stressed - and when I first started diving I was ALWAYS stressed - so it caused some pain. I ended up getting a smaller mouthpiece and it helped a great deal. Someone else mentioned holding onto the mouthpiece with your lips to give your jaw a break - I've done that as well. Good luck!

I've had TMJ issues from time to time and biting down on a regulator mouth piece for two hours a day is not helpful for sure.

I don't have much to add, except to recommend that if you go with a retaining strap or full face mask you take the time to become very comfortable with using, donning and doffing them in a controlled environment like a shallow pool, as they make the breathing gas source more difficult to remove in an out-of-gas or regulator malfunction scenario.

Best regards,
DDM

FFM brings additional complexity to diving, and while I agree they are good they introduce some additional training to diving that normal masks avoid.

Hello Anna!

Thanks for your reply! Well, I can prevent that from happening (I mean the reg floating out or water getting in) but that just results in worsening the condition later. What mouthpiece do you have? Is it the one you mould yourself?

As for my configuration - during my course, I was using recreational gear - BCD, reg, etc., nothing special. I'd like to move to doubles and use a backplate, but that's not gonna happen for some time at least. The regulators we were using were Apex ones, seemed pretty standard, incl. the mouthpiece.

I wonder whether the problem might be that the regulator hose comes in from the right side, which I guess puts more stress on the right side of my jaw / right TMJ? Have you ever tried / heard of anyone changing the side from which the regulator comes in or is that like sacrilege in diving? :D
I double-checked my primary just now and it appears I misspoke. I DID try a custom mouthpiece... still remember moulding it... but for whatever reason, I abandoned it. I now use a comfo bite. (I haven't been able to dive in a few years, so no wonder I forgot.)

I mentioned configuration b/c I do dive a long hose, and the hose is coming from the left in my case because of this. I'm right-handed, so this to me seems much more natural... less 'bulk' on the right side if that makes any sense.

As others have mentioned, if you're doing multiple dives in a day and aren't really used to it, it will take time for your jaw to adjust. I still recommend playing around with finding that sweet spot via tongue on the roof of the mouth, which seems to be a problem for people like us, and then converting that to being underwater with a reg in your mouth.

Also, stress plays a part as Kamela mentioned. I think I bit through my first mouthpiece in short order when I began diving, hence the need to relax. :wink:

What my gf magically helped was a smaller diving mask (in the vertical axis).
Inbefore she tried custom mouthpieces, comfobite.. different hose lengths etc.
And she was at a point she couldn't eat proper, after a dive, because it was hurting to much.
The moment she started using a smaller mask it just disappeared.
We guess that the large mask was pressing to much downward at the mouth area and forced her to hold the reg in in a strange way, but we don't fully know.

I started having these issues many years after I started diving. Switched to a custom mouthpiece and swivel hose for my regulator. Problem solved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom