To many license' and not enough answers..........help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Munkeyphist

Reaction score
Presently living in Thailand as my home base, but
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, I am an PADI MSDT/EFRI and I want to expand my options a little bit more by taking some boating courses. I want to do the STCW 95, which seems to be an Internationally accepted license, but when it comes to an actual boat handling license, that is something else. Here is my dilemna.

I am a US citizen, but also have a British passport. Saying this, I can work in the US and in Europe, which I sometimes do. Additionally I work alot of the time in S.E Asia. With all that said, what licensing body do I get a permit to operate Rib Boat / Power Boat under 20 feet in coastal waters from? The UK, European, USA, Asian........any ideas? Thanks

I can speak re the US only. If you're not carrying passengers or freight for hire, then you do not need a license. Check with the local state to see if an operator's permit (easily obtained) is required.

If you are carrying paying passengers or freight, then you need a license from the Coast Guard. For a RIB under 20 feet, a six-passenger (6-pack) license should suffice.

I know of no licensing authority that applies to more than one country. STCW is a qualification that is international, but it is not a license or a permit to operate a vessel--it's a training certificate that accompanies a license from a government that is signatory to I.M.O.

There are licenses that will help you in international employment. The Cayman Islands are problem the most famous license of convenience, but you need a real license first. Get a US or British license and they will rubber stamp a Cayman license. A lot of yacht charters actually prefer a Cayman license.

The british license will get you more jobs internationally than a US license will too. People assume we are too expensive (they are correct usually).

Best of luck.

-dennis

rya powerboat 2 should do it
stcw95 sea survival
vhf radio cert.

Back
Top Bottom