To Pee Or Not To Pee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pee when in the water, let water seep in to flush it out. Pee in the wetsuit sitting in a boat? Yuck.
I can hold it for 4-5 hours when zipped in my ds. I drink alot the day/night before diving to be properly hydrated before the dive, the water drank right before the dive isn't going to hydrate you - only going to make you want to pee.

I made it to around 100 dives without peeing in my suit, couldn't bring myself to do it, even though friends said they do. Finally I was able to... now it's like Pavlov's dogs... I see a wetsuit and I have to pee.

For some reason I do manage to hold it every time I break in a new suit, for about 2-3 weeks, after that it's back to the normal routine.

Anyways, if a person can hold it, despite the immersion diuresis (linked earlier), more power to them. Out of consideration to others I don't pee the last 10-15 minutes of a dive and I flush and remove the suit in the water. Don't know what I'd do if I were diving cold water again.

One pet peeve though... I can't believe how many people will put on their wetsuits, or not remove them at the end of the dive, then visit the ladder to pee.... those things are made to block the transfer of fluids, thirty to sixty seconds of standing on the ladder isn't going to eliminate the pee from the suit, might as well pee on the deck in front of everyone.

For years I didn't pee in my wet suit. Then I learned how to flush it out quickly. Position yourself head down, feet up. Stick your octo in the neck of your wet suit. As you pee, hit the purge button. All the pee is flushed out of the wet suit. Don't do this if you tuck your suit into your boots.

Well dopey me, Walter, but I don't quite get this technique without visuals. Could we maybe see a picture of you doing this maneuver?? :D

I once called a friend a lying sob because he swore to me that he never peed in his wetsuit.

But I got curious, so I set about determining if I could make it through dives without peeing in my suit. In order for me to accomplish this feat, I had to pee immediately prior to the dive and immediately following the dive. It worked, I didn't pee in my suit and it actually started to smell better. But god did it seem like a lot of work. Being the lazy bastard that I am, I returned to the happy sensation and a stinky suit.

Personally I haven't tried the Walter method, but I know that my wife swears by it.

I always get the urge due to mamalian reflex but when it happens i have to get back into the water with my suite half opened and my rig on the boat.

Before wearing a suit I asked about that or a pee whole but if gottag u gotta go. noway out.

Better out than in I always say...

I don't pee in my wetsuit. If I am diving in swim trunks I will. But never in a wetsuit. No one wants to be sitting around on the dive boat talking about the awesome *insertmarinelifehere* they saw only to have someone else get aboard and peel off their wetsuit and release the pungent aroma of pee pee pants. Smelling your piss for the next hour or so on a dive boat is not my idea of recreation.

I pee in my suit when I first get into the water. It pre-warms my suit and the water doesn't seem as cold.

Product list:
Watts PL-230 nylon hose barb elbow (1/4" x 1/4").
1' of 1/4" ODX 170" ID poly tube
2' of 3/8 OD x 1/4" ID tube
Item number 55056-F...one small black rubber grommet.

Using a 16 penny nail and a lighter, sear a hole through wetsuit at point were you want the valve (really more of a outlet than a valve). Cut short side of elbow tubing at bottom of first barb. Insert long barbed end into the suit positioning the end toward the crotch. Using Aquaseal or other similar adhesive, glue grommet on outside of suit over the portion of the elbow protruding slightly from the suit. This should set the elbow in place. Aquaseal a small square of neoprene to the inside leg of the suit covering the three sides of the elbow not going to accept the hose. Take the small hose and insert about an inch and a half into the large hose for stiffness. Take the other end of the large hose and attach to the elbow. The end of the hose that has been stiffened by inserting the smaller hose will accept the catheter.

As I have not received the catheters in the mail yet, I have not tried attaching one to the hose. Rochester Medical will ship you a few for free for testing. See their website for more details. For routing and more info see: Mastery or Misadventure...Secrets of the Condom Catheter...a great read.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom