To Pee Or Not To Pee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Product list:
Watts PL-230 nylon hose barb elbow (1/4" x 1/4").
1' of 1/4" ODX 170" ID poly tube
2' of 3/8 OD x 1/4" ID tube
Item number 55056-F...one small black rubber grommet.

Using a 16 penny nail and a lighter, sear a hole through wetsuit at point were you want the valve (really more of a outlet than a valve). Cut short side of elbow tubing at bottom of first barb. Insert long barbed end into the suit positioning the end toward the crotch. Using Aquaseal or other similar adhesive, glue grommet on outside of suit over the portion of the elbow protruding slightly from the suit. This should set the elbow in place. Aquaseal a small square of neoprene to the inside leg of the suit covering the three sides of the elbow not going to accept the hose. Take the small hose and insert about an inch and a half into the large hose for stiffness. Take the other end of the large hose and attach to the elbow. The end of the hose that has been stiffened by inserting the smaller hose will accept the catheter.

As I have not received the catheters in the mail yet, I have not tried attaching one to the hose. Rochester Medical will ship you a few for free for testing. See their website for more details. For routing and more info see: Mastery or Misadventure...Secrets of the Condom Catheter...a great read.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for posting. I had not heard of anyone making their own p-valve. I have a Halcyon balanced p-valve that I bought with my she-p. My understanding of balanced p-valves is that the valve is one way, so the outside water does not come in.
Can an unbalanced p-valve allow the urine to be pushed back into the urethra, like when you do a giant stride?

Last edited:
only to have someone else get aboard and peel off their wetsuit and release the pungent aroma of pee pee pants.

Well diving isn't the most elegant activity there is. You need to leave some of your dignity on the dock. You're not going to have a "good hair day" and makeup is probably a huge waste of time.

Most of the experienced divers here all agree. It's better to just go. Holding it or not drinking so you won't have to go are both really bad ideas.

-Charles

now it's like Pavlov's dogs... I see a wetsuit and I have to pee.

I'm with you, Friscuba! In fact, just reading this post has made me want to pee... And I'm off to the ladies! :D

Trish

Can an unbalanced p-valve allow the urine to be pushed back into the urethra, like when you do a giant stride?

When I dive in the warmer months, I dive with just a pair of board shorts and a short sleeve rash-guard. The boarder shorts have no liner and giant strides do not force lake water into my urethra...that I have noticed.

I would hope that this p-valve would act the same way. After much more research I did see that a connector fitting will need to be used to attach the catheter to the hose assembly.

High-C juice drinks had the highest salt content when I learned that a saline solution "flushes" tissue best. Beer and salty bar snacks might work almost as well. :)

I'm not sure why but I seem to remember to go before the dive and then pretty easily last through the dive.

Weeee yep, I'm not spoiling my dive holding it in. The key is to give it a good flush out while you're under water, otherwise you come back to the boat smelling terrible. You always know who's pee'd and not rinsed the suite out, it's quite a smell.

Weeee yep, I'm not spoiling my dive holding it in. The key is to give it a good flush out while you're under water, otherwise you come back to the boat smelling terrible. You always know who's pee'd and not rinsed the suite out, it's quite a smell.

...and hope you won't get sea lice stings :(

I'd like to hear from a urologist about the risks of holding it too long and too often.

I did read a story a few years ago about a study of construction workers. Since they are often working in teams and port-potty's may be scattered they tend to hold it for as long as they can. The study determined that they did have a higher incidence of bladder cancer than the general population.

Let it rip.

Pete

1. Enjoy pee underwater

2. Flush suit underwater

3. Rinse suit after dive

4. Clean suit with dilute washing-up liquid (I prefer lemon-scented, YMMV of course) and rinse again at the day's end.

There's the secret to a suit's long and sweet-smelling life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom