To soak or not to soak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wondering, when you originally asked this question, if you had seen the Alec Pierce video... and I see you had.

He's a lot younger than me! I was Technical Editor of the No1 UK diving mag for 26 years!

And as the guy said in the video - a couple of drops might get in. I'm not worried about the 1st stage getting filled with water (like leaving the cap off the 1st stage) but I don't want any moisture in the lines. A tiny bit of fresh water in the 2nd stage won't do much if anything to the 2nd stage. Moisture in the line will evaporate eventually and now you have a humid line which will find its way to the 1st stage seat. Which is why you should blow down the regs after you are done soaking. Nothing but dry air in there now. Moisture can lead to electrolysis and corrosion. Might not show up right away but if you're trying to get the maximum out of your reg set service life then anything you can do to remove salts and moisture from the system is going to help. I don't service based on time - I service based on IP stability and cracking pressures. If a person automatically services based solely on a calendar date then they can probably treat their gear poorly and won't have an issue since the yearly service will fix any issue before they become apparent. The tech that does the service will certainly know how they were treated. Green and crusty is no fun even if you have a good ultrasonic cleaner. My advice: Try to keep any water out of the set. Soak the regs well after use if you were diving in salt water and then purge them after the soak. Your regs will thank you with a longer life

if you're really concerned - leave it on a tank and soak the whole thing pressurized.

What he said. I know guys who mount theirs to a small pony and put it in a large bin with an aquarium pump to circulate the water.

Alec Pierce is a great resource, I serviced my second stage this year based on his videos. I understand the straw analogy, it makes sense that not much water would tend to get in. But It seems still possible that a couple drops of water could get in if pressing the purge button while submersed. Why do it and tempt fate. Doesn't seem there is a reason to do it.

The next day after the washed regulator is completely dry(assuming low humidity and ventilation) would be a good time to connect to the tank and purge some dry air thru just in case.

The next day after the washed regulator is completely dry(assuming low humidity and ventilation) would be a good time to connect to the tank and purge some dry air thru just in case.

Should remove HP hose/transmitter first!!!! All purge buttons on all second stages connected to the first stage must also be pressed in addition to the LP BC hose that should be connected to a BC and the power inflator button pressed.

Back
Top Bottom