To those considering an OW class...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When my Fiancé and I working looking for a dive class we couldn’t get over these weekend classes. We were actually scared to take such a fast class. We ended up taking the National Geographic class which was 3 weeks. 2 nights of book work 3 nights of 4 hour class in the pool. Then a Saturday class at the lake which consisted of two lake dives then another 2 pool classes then two days at the ocean which was 4 dives. We then had a follow up class to cover any questions and go over everything. After the class finished I felt like wow that was quick. It gave me a taste for diving but in no way would I say I am a diver. Some more lake dives for practice and a few ocean dives with more advanced friends. Ok then you would start to feel like a diver. I really don’t see how someone can walk out of a 2 day class and feel like they are officially a diver. Just my 2c.

Stacy

Fotoz4FX:
No where NEAR enough... welcome to crash course 101 - a quick way to die.

Care to qualify that statement?

The 3 day course does a fine job of teaching people how not to die. If OW divers follow their instruction, they will be just fine. They'll still be crappy divers, but there is a small chance they will die or even be injured.

I'm really interested in how LDS owners feel about this, combining classes and upping pool time, the diver would end up with the same amount of cards for those card collecting or feel the number of cards is important or whatever, cause there are plenty out there and if thats what they want then hey whatever.

The logistics on class combining and pool time would take work, you would have to tack on a little extra fee for the extra pool work and heck I dunno call it something like a scuba boot camp type thing (I took the term from IT, there were training courses called boot camps, long story) but still offer the busted up version for those that need it/want it busted up, but a shop that successfully nailed down the "boot camp" version and successfully advertised it could corner a portion of the training market, the corner that wants better training, if they get to the market first and get the word out.

Ann Marie:
Completing an open water class does not make you a diver! It gives you the skills to begin your diving adventures.

Ok sure, but how many certified OW divers have you seen, that you felt confident in them dealing with their first OW dive, confidently, comfortably?

Ann Marie:
I just don't understand why people think that they should take one class to learn everything??? H-e-l-l-o.... do you only take one ski class, one golf class, one karate class and then feel you are a pro????

H-E-L-L-O! Where has anyone, other than you, said or inferenced that we think there should be one class to teach everything? What we are saying is that over time, the standards and requirements have been eased to a point that OW certification does NOT provide adequate skills to protect new divers from themselves, what they don't know and what can possibly happen. OW certification, when done to the bare minimum standards as many instructors do, does not adequately prepare new divers to dive without professional supervision, yet they got the cards and there they go.

I have met numerous people over my 17 years of diving, that have expressed EXACTLY the senitment that they stopped diving because they did not feel well trained after OW certification. Some of them I even knew their instructros and understood why the students felt that way. However, according to standards, they met the required criteria.

By the way, I have NEVER taken a ski lesson, started skiing at age 5, grew up on skis in Montana, have skied probably half of the ski areas in the west, ski double black regularly. Used to do extreme skiing before Billy Kidd won his medals.

Ann Marie:
get real people!

You get real and re-read the posts and understand we are not wanting extreme measures. Just a level of certification standards that plugs the holes and requires instructors to be held to a higher standard.

I've posted in other threads some of the poor diving skiils I have witnessed by DM's, AI' and instructors, IE candiates at my own IE. I have audited several dive shops and that is why I am an independant. I demand more of myself.

I treat every student as if I were training my own daughters. How do I want them to dive?

Ann Marie:
okay--off the soap box now! :D

Off mine too.

jbichsel:
I have met numerous people over my 17 years of diving, that have expressed EXACTLY the senitment that they stopped diving because they did not feel well trained after OW certification.

That, in my mind, is where the silliness of the "economic" argument reveals itself. Assuming your anecdotal evidence is true (and my anecdotal experience is similar), the shorter classes actually contribute to diver attrition. The LDS is actually losing a member of the sport (and the associated revenue) because they aren't giving students enough tools to properly enjoy the sport.

Longer classes and more stringent standards are likely to ensure that divers are confident, safe divers who actually enjoy the diving they do, meaning that they are more likely to come back for more training, more gear, etc.

Just my opinion.

King Kong Matt:
That, in my mind, is where the silliness of the "economic" argument reveals itself. Assuming your anecdotal evidence is true (and my anecdotal experience is similar), the shorter classes actually contribute to diver attrition. The LDS is actually losing a member of the sport (and the associated revenue) because they aren't giving students enough tools to properly enjoy the sport.

Longer classes and more stringent standards are likely to ensure that divers are confident, safe divers who actually enjoy the diving they do, meaning that they are more likely to come back for more training, more gear, etc.

Just my opinion.

I agree, if your return rate from OW classes went from 30% to 45% or so thats increased long term revenue, I'd like to see the actual stats on the number that do not return, it has to be high because the number of people I see in classes on weekends is wild, if they all returnd there would be standing room only in the local holes and like someone else said a waiting list from hell for boats.

jbichsel:
I'm sure everyone has heard - Put Another Dollar In

How about - Pay And Dive Instantly?

Pay And Dive Instantly is my FAVORITE I just heard it recently on a tirp to akumal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom