To weight or not to weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a new diver - and a bit of a nervous diver - so what everyone has said seems to make good sense - I probably do hold too much air in my lungs and my husband has said I'm moving my feet - but I don't realize it - so next time I'll think more about those things. I tend to be very buoyant as well - in the pool (just in swim suit) I can't sit on the bottom even when I let all my breath out because I still float up. I've been diving - in fresh water - with 12 pounds, and have been told by others that they double their weight in salt water - I'm not excited about carrying 24 pounds of weight. My main problem is when I'm first trying to sink - once I get to 15, 20 or 30 feet I seem to be fine. My husband told me to try getting horizontal sooner - but that seems to hamper my ability to sink - feet first seems to work better for me. I'm open to any suggestions others might have - thanks

That's a great thread you've got going..well done...I could only add this...A BC is there to help maintain neutral buoyancy...you can use your lungs volume to increase and decrease your buoyancy but you'll probably use more air that way...getting used to your gear is vital ...adding a little bit of air or letting a bit go from the bc is the best way to trim your buoyancy...and as you relax more with each dive that extra weight you carried will get left on the boat eventually....changing gear ( like a thicker or newer wetsuit will throw everything out of balance for a while but you'll compensate { ooo a pun }...and just enjoy it and keep at it )...my sons have just completed the open water courses ( with another instructor ) and sure I have to wait for the as we decend and sometimes they take a bit of time to get down...but weight wise they're doing great compared to before when they had like 4 each...now they're down to 2 and really they're getting there...and as for me well I just lay on my back and blow air rings while I wait....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom