Tobermory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just my way of an update on Tob... Indeed, boats are going in on May 25th. The Park is slated to open on June 1. I know Kelly has been talking to the Park Boss to try to make sure that Fathom Five is fully open. I think there's a pretty obvious difference between diving and camping. Currently, the Tugs platform is still closed. I saw a couple of dudes diving there Sunday. They were parked directly in front of the "Closed" sign. The bylaw guy was about to write them a ticket when I passed again and they were in the water.

Assuming the water bits opened up on the first, I would think DD will be open as well. I know they're anxious to get going. One minor correction regarding their offerings.... DD does not offer trimix fills. They bank air and 32, and will blend any nitrox.

What is a little less clear is the status of accommodation etc. Ontario still has whatis essentially a non-essential travel ban. I think that this will ease in bits, but I do not recommend driving to Tobermory any time soon and expect to find anything open. As of two days ago, pretty much everything was closed tight, but lots of preparation underway. I rent my place on AirBnB and all short-term rentals are currently banned.

Regarding accommodation under normal circumstances, I'm going to disagree with the "year ahead" premise. Certainly long weekends, and many weekends fill early. If you can, come mid week. And always make a reservation.

I am diving this weekend, but outside of the park, possibly hooking up a mooring or two. I'll update this thread later in the weekend if there's anything new.

Sorry Stoo...

Re: TRI-MIX...I assumed wrong...my bad...

W...

when giving advice and you you don't know ................... assume......

Thank very much @Stoo for the information. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will find it very useful.

Anytime.... Anyone should feel free to hunt me down regarding Tobermory information. I may not know the answer, but I'm excellent at making stuff up. It's going to be a weird year here I think, so information may be "variable".

I just had my hound out for a wander around town an hour ago and there is one visiting boat there. I had a chat with the couple on board and they were surprised to learn that nothing was open. I assume they are from Mars. Otherwise, there wasn't a soul out and about. It's like February, except that the weather is perfect!

Is this tomorrow May 25th and this is official? How can we verify this.

It is, and they are. This is not to say they're operating though. The Park is still closed to diving. Bit it's a step in the right direction.

Stoo: Any word on restaurants and hotels opening. I don't want to drive up and back in 1 day

Crowsnest has take out, possibly just on weekends. Hotels are all closed still.

Also, you're an idiot. ;-)

(If is isn't obvious, @jmark18 and I go back a ways... )

I snuck/sneaked out last evening for a dive at the Cleveland (which is way outside the Park). It was glorious...

Cleveland dusk nice © _LLC7813.jpg

Is this tomorrow May 25th and this is official? How can we verify this.

Thanks.

TC...

This date was confirmed with me by Kelly Marcotte...DD shop owner...however Fathom Five Marine Park remains closed...

Check with Kelly/local accommodation providers...prior to making any plans to travel...

Stoo is a Tobermory local...when the ''pool'' is open...he won't be long in letting us know...

You may want to consider getting on Divers Den mailing list...Kelly is keeping us fully apprised of current conditions...

Stoo had posted a couple days ago that all local Tobermory shops/restaurants remain closed as well...

Best...

W...

Stoo had posted a couple days ago that all local Tobermory shops/restaurants remain closed as well...

I wouldn't believe a word he says though...

There are signs of life in town, but for now, Tobermory is basically closed. Even shore access diving (Lighthouse, Tugs, Little Cove) are off limits. Divers' Den isn't open, but they're working on it. I was in there yesterday and we were talking about how they can best deal with fills and rentals in this strange new world.

Having said, the water is gorgeous... as clear as I can ever remember seeing it. It's also relatively mild. It was a mild winter here, so not much ice or snow. The water remains high, and the Wetmore is now a full-on mix dive.

The biggest thing to consider is when the National Park will open. It's slated for June 1st, but until it is, I wouldn't make any plans you can't back out of gracefully.

As @W W Meixner suggested, follow Divers' Den on Facebook for the latest updates.

And I was kidding about the Wetmore, but I hit 32' on the Cleveland last night, and that's a first!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom