Tomas aims for Windward Islands & Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It should be long gone well before the 8th.
Keep in mind that a couple of the models do zig it right over the Dom Rep...

If you're North side you wouldn't get the winds as it gets busted up going over the island, but typically the worst damage and injury comes from flooding, and you could certainly get that...
I see two going over Haiti at the moment, not DR, but one suggesting going between DR and Puerto Rico. If northern cyclones spin counter clockwise, that would blow right on DR would it not?

Hispaniola%20jimani%20fonds%20parisiens%20map%202.jpg

Keep in mind that a couple of the models do zig it right over the Dom Rep...

If you're North side you wouldn't get the winds as it gets busted up going over the island, but typically the worst damage and injury comes from flooding, and you could certainly get that...

My apartment is pretty sturdy, and only leaks a little bit when it rains really hard. We're prepared for flooding, and used to not having electricity. I think we'll be fine here in Samana. I wouldn't want to be on the south coast though.

I see two going over Haiti at the moment, not DR, but one suggesting going between DR and Puerto Rico. If northern cyclones spin counter clockwise, that would blow right on DR would it not?

The "right" side of the storm (to the right of the eye wall) is usually where the worst winds are.

As it stands at this moment... it's been downgraded to a Cat 1 hurricane. So - who knows what it will do?

I like the 5pm forecast. Looking better for me :)

I like the 5pm forecast. Looking better for me :)

Yeah, models seem to be settling down and shifting a bit to the west. Looks very bad for areas of Haiti west of Port-au-Prince on the south side right now.

Probably better off in the larger scheme of things if it zigs even more to the west and Cuba absorbs the brunt of it...

Forecast for power has dropped some too, least down to Cat-1 on landing. Wasn't it forecast to make 3 at one time? Still a lot of wind and rain for a devastated & poor country.

Forecast for power has dropped some too, least down to Cat-1 on landing. Wasn't it forecast to make 3 at one time? Still a lot of wind and rain for a devastated & poor country.

Yeah, seems to be predicting a cat-2 at landfall.

Still a pretty big storm for its intensity and if it doesn't move north quickly it could dump a lot of rain.

The Monday 5AM Forecast looks even better for us. However - we have people (like the boss who took a week at home) trying to come here from the U.S. on Thursday and Friday; we'll see how this all plays out.

Better news for Haiti at least as it's veered further west, heading for Guantanamo it seems. I guess the DR is getting a lot of rain along with Haiti, Jamaica, and Cuba but the winds are not as intense as previously expected.

cuba.gif

Today there are moderately calm seas on the north shore, with moderate but wide period swell.

So far today, we've been having steady mild to moderate rain showers and gusty but not too strong winds. Not a day to go out on the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom