Tonight's the night for Bonaire sea wasps!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Tonight I decided on a night dive off the pier at Buddy Dive Resort. Geared up, and walked part way down the ladder, sat and started to get my fins on. Something stung my legs; not agonizing, but alarming. So I get up, turn around & shine my light in the water. See nothing. Turn and go in, and my right hand gets stung hard. I turn, and see a small jelly fish with 4 tentacles.

Oh, crap! I'm thinking I remember Bonaire box jellyfish look like that. What now? Can't pee on it underwater. Doubt anybody's standing around lending vinegar on the pier, if you believe that helps (from what I understand it's fallen out of favor). So, I'm supposed to rinse with sea water, right? Which means if I keep diving, the steady wash of water over my hand will rinse it. So I dive. Pain feels like a cross between a wasp sting and a cut, spread around. Gets a bit worse, then levels off. Not drawing tears or preventing me from focusing on or enjoying the dive, but I wish it'd go away.

I head up to that boat wreck past Captain Don's that sits around 30-40' deep, find a couple of crabs, come back, count 6 tarpon handing with me, and end up hovering in the shallows quite awhile to drag out bottom time. I want that hour. I get it. Head back along the bottom to the pier; swim right over a scorpion fish, but see it so no problem.

There are 2 ladders at the pier. Every time I get near one, somebody makes a loud banging racket & shines a light around, warning me. So I surface at the end of the pier to talk. There's a group, and a guy tells me there are sea wasps and a girl's already been sent to the hospital. By now, I've noticed them at the surface. But I've got to get out of the water. I point that out, and someone encouragingly shouts 'Go for it!'

Which I did, and despite coming up between 2 of the little suckers, I had no more stings. People helped get me out quickly, and a lady offered me a choice of Windex or vinegar to spray on the wounds I already head. I saw a sign that said Warning Jellyfish' or some such on a rope; I don't know whether it was up when I went in earlier.

There were quite a few of the little beasts hanging around, it seems. From what I understand they occasionally swarm, and are drawn to lights.

So, one more thing to have in mind when diving. Besides the moon jellyfish, lionfish, scorpionfish, bristle worms and the 2 big southern stingrays I've seen this trip...

Richard.

P.S.: I'm writing this awhile later, and the pain is subsiding quite a bit. Kind of reminds me of a sunburn now. No trouble breathing, light-headedness, dizziness, etc... A friend once told me that in time, even the bad things that happen to special trips become 'part of the memory.' I guess I've got one more conversation piece.

Thanks for posting this. As someone who is very allergic and currently on island, I appreciate the heads up. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Another good reason to always ocean dive with a full suit. Even if it's only a 1 or 1.5 mm. A skin will also help.

Great advice, Jim. I used to only dive with a shorty, but after seeing similar this happen to someone first hand, I always wear a full suit in the ocean. Why risk it?

we have been told to purge your alternate for a bit to create an "up current" that will clear the jellies away from the ladder (this was on live aboard). Not sure if this actually works.

any one used this trick? is it effective or a waste of time?

I always dive with a full wetsuit (3/2mm) in the tropics for this reason. I'm heading there next month so I hope the sea wasps don't stick around!

The below has been posted by STINAPA several hours ago:
Please be advised of an above average abundance of Box Jellyfish and Portuguese Man o'War around Bonaire specially in the central west coast. Increase in abundance of Portuguese Man o'War and box jellyfish is common 8 to 12 days after the full moon. Based in observations and reports, it seems that numbers are higher as summer approaches.
The Portuguese man o' war is often confused with jellyfish, which may lead to improper treatment of stings, as the venom differs from that of true jellyfish.
Treatment for a Portuguese man o' war sting includes:
Carefully remove remnants of the organism from the skin taking extreme care not to touch them directly with fingers or any other part of the skin to avoid secondary stinging.
Apply abundant salt water to the affected area, not fresh water, which tends to make the affected area worse
Apply hot water if immediately available (42 °C) to the affected area from about15-20 minutes. Hot water eases the pain of a sting by denaturing the toxins.
If sensitive areas of the body are affected (eyes, lips, etc.), seek medical attention immediately.
Vinegar is not recommended for treating stings. Vinegar dousing increases toxin delivery and worsens symptoms of stings from the nematocysts off Portuguese Man o'War and Box Jellyfish.
You can check Box Jellyfish treatment in http://www.marine-medic.com.au/pages/firstaid/first_aid_treatment_of_jellyfish_stings.asp

I think it's mainly an issue at night, and then only occasionally.

On the other hand, today was my last day diving this trip, and coming back at the public shore entry/exit to Bari Reef in real shallow water, right off the bottom, day time, I passed right over what appeared to be a moon jellyfish upside down just off the bottom. No idea what was up with that.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom