Tool cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leabre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just collected some tools for conducting various service rituals in my equipment. Most of them have some oil on them straight from the factory. I plan to O2 clean some of my items. Do I need to clean them before using them and would an ultrasonic bath (with water and simple green or vinegar) be the right way to do it?

To be on the safe side and to ensure none of the factory oil contaminates an 'O' ring or anything else...Many of the rebuild manuals will recommend using gloves when handling 'O' rings and applying 'lubes'...Easy enough to do in both cases so why not....I use one of those round magnifying lamps w/a florescent bulb to check 'rings' and other parts after they've been cleaned in an ultra sonic bath....Take a look at both old and new parts, especially 'rings' under one of those lamps...It's an eye opener !!!!....Take a look at your 'new' rings before you install them too......You'll find some [whether it's O2 or standard] w/thin, flat, 'out-of-round' or small pits....I find about 15% of them w/those defects....They're probably usable, but they're so inexpensive I just don't use them.......

Simple green the heck out of them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom