Tool kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captainhook426

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I need a link or something to a good tool kit for minor gear repairs. Something with the wrenches and Allen wrenches. I'm on a mobile phone that I hate otherwise I would just look myself.

Better off just buying exactly what you need from a motor factor. The tools will be better quality. What regs do you have?

Apeks, but I'm just looking for a multi tool or small kit for the fittings and hoses.

For Apeks regs you need a c spanner, two is better, and two 11/16th open spanners, or one and a decent adjustable, which aren't going to be in any multi-tool sets anyway. Bacho do a really nice thin jaw adjustable that is really handy for reg fettling. These tools and 5mm, 6mm and 10mm hex keys, 5/8 open spanner, pin spanner, brass o ring pick, some wood dowels (1/8, 1/4, 1/2), internal circlip pliers, 22mm open spanner, 34mm open spanner, and a 3/8 port holding tool (empty co2 threaded cartridge) would allow you to completely dismantle 90% of Apeks regs. Add an inflator tool, a schrader valve tool, and a handwheel nut tool and you'd cover the rest of your kit as well :)

I don't need to service a regulator, just something to set up my regulators and hoses if I need to switch something after I leave home.

Elite Regulator Scuba Tool

Is this too much of a shameless self promotion?

I bought one that seemed just like the Elite at SportChalet. Too good to be true - all the right wrench and hex sizes. After opening and closing it a half dozen times at home, the machine work on the pieces was so poor that it wouldn't open any more without scratching the heck out of the adjacent wrench. It became impossibly stiff. Made in China. That's why it was $20. So I'm hoping the Elite is better and is finished more smoothly. Elite on left; SportChalet on right. Likely both made in China, but they may be finished very differently on the inside:
Elite.jpgSportChalet.jpg

Frankly steveharris had it exactly right: buy the tools separately. In captainhook's case, just a couple of small adjustables and two hex keys for the port plugs. Me, I'd add one of those Save-A-Dive o-ring kits with a brass hook inside for when my tank o-ring blows out of a loose yoke. But then, I carry a whole reg adjustment kit when I go diving. Not for me, but for the inevitable guy whose second stage is freeflowing when he turns on the tank.

If you want a little case so the pieces don't go missing, try this one from robertarak's place, or Trident has a similar kit:
diver tool kit.jpg Elite Regulator Scuba Tool

Hey, robertarak! I hope your multitool is as good as I'd hoped the other would be. Should I buy one?

Hey, robertarak! I hope your multitool is as good as I'd hoped the other would be. Should I buy one?

Of course you should! LOL

Honestly, the separate tools are of slightly better quality then the multi tool. Neither is what I would use daily on a workbench. Either will work fine for your needs if cared for. Keep them clean and lubricatred and they will be ready for use the times you need them. I use the mutli tool in my kit.

Robert

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom