Tools for DIY reg service, kiss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spin off from Servicing your own regulators

As it was getting kinda confusing for first timers like me. For those not familiar kiss means keep it simple stupid.

So what are the tools divided into 3 categories with links for ones worth getting or better yet ones not to get. Simplified for us first timers.

1. Absolutely required

2. Not strictly required but makes things a lot easier

3. Purely luxury

Maybe this will help:

1. Absolutely required are tools to disassemble the regulator, correctly install parts, and re-assemble. Spanners, hex keys, etc.

2. Not strictly required are specialized tools that make installation easier (like herman's MK5/10 o-ring tool) or the double hook o-ring pick (makes removal of hidden o-rings easier without scratching the sealing surface), things like a decent vise, accurate torque wrenches, although purists would argue that is absolutely necessary. I know for a fact that it is possible to service regs without one; I use one but many shops don't bother.

3. Purely luxury are things like inline adjuster tools, ultrasonic cleaners, measurement tools like a magnehelic. If you service enough regs, you will eventually invest in many of these tools. I serviced my own for years without an inline adjuster or an ultrasonic, but now I use both. They're basically time savers. I still don't use a magnehelic; I trust my own senses to know when cracking effort is where I want it. I did have some initial issues where I set some 2nd stages a bit too light and they would occasionally free flow due to case fault geometry. I would be interested in getting a magnehelic, I'm not against them in any way, but I just don't personally need one to get my regs breathing the way I want them to.

Anyhow, if you want to know the minimum tool requirement, you must first find out exactly what tools are needed to take apart (and put back together) the reg you are going to service. That's about the best any of us can tell you without knowing what reg you are talking about.

As a purist, I'd recommend that you strongly consider the outcome of using a cheaper alternative to a specialized tool for category #2 "Not strictly required".
For example, while a double hook pick isn't strictly required, consider the consequences of dinging the land that holds the HP oring inside a Mk10 without one.
Or consider the frustration of holding a second stage poppet in place with a cheap dowel while you assemble the lever, washer and nut. The screw-in tool isn't necessary, but trust me - it takes a lot of the fun out of it not having the tools.
And tuning a "simple" downstream second without a coaxial thin screwdriver and 1/4" hex is a crazymaker. Yeah, you can do it, but this is supposed to be fun!

I'd recommend an alternate approach. Get a simple eBay reg that doesn't require many tools, and see if this is satisfying for you. Then buy the extras when you decide to start on your own gear.

But you have to face the fact that the minimum expenditure for tools is going to be about $200.
Because even with homemade workarounds, you still need to buy the odd brass adapter, and the second set of wrenches. It adds up.

As for torque'ing by hand, the heavy duty stuff isn't much of a worry (yoke and DIN connector). But the connecting bolt of most turreted firsts is a 35-60 in-lb tightening. The consequences of cracking an old brass connector, or stripping threads in a steel one, is catastrophic gas loss. At least consider a Harbor Freight Chinese one.

I'd rather use no torque wrench than a HF torque wrench. I screwed up the top end of my ZG1000 with one. "Gosh, I should be getting a click soon......snap".

I'd rather use no torque wrench than a HF torque wrench. I screwed up the top end of my ZG1000 with one. "Gosh, I should be getting a click soon......snap".
Excellent point.
Ah, low cost manufacturers!

As a purist, I'd recommend that you strongly consider the outcome of using a cheaper alternative to a specialized tool for category #2 "Not strictly required".
For example, while a double hook pick isn't strictly required, consider the consequences of dinging the land that holds the HP oring inside a Mk10 without one.
Or consider the frustration of holding a second stage poppet in place with a cheap dowel while you assemble the lever, washer and nut. The screw-in tool isn't necessary, but trust me - it takes a lot of the fun out of it not having the tools.
And tuning a "simple" downstream second without a coaxial thin screwdriver and 1/4" hex is a crazymaker. Yeah, you can do it, but this is supposed to be fun!

I'd recommend an alternate approach. Get a simple eBay reg that doesn't require many tools, and see if this is satisfying for you. Then buy the extras when you decide to start on your own gear.

But you have to face the fact that the minimum expenditure for tools is going to be about $200.
Because even with homemade workarounds, you still need to buy the odd brass adapter, and the second set of wrenches. It adds up.

As for torque'ing by hand, the heavy duty stuff isn't much of a worry (yoke and DIN connector). But the connecting bolt of most turreted firsts is a 35-60 in-lb tightening. The consequences of cracking an old brass connector, or stripping threads in a steel one, is catastrophic gas loss. At least consider a Harbor Freight Chinese one.

And this was a bit of my point in the thread that this is spun off of. For myself, a 30-40 dive a year diver, is it worth the financial output? And, honestly, I’m all for leaving the first stage to the pros. Second stages, however, I would be interested in doing at least maintenance and cleaning on. I have D6 Signatures and DRIS Illusions with kits for all four. At the risk of hi jacking (@formernuke let me know if you want me to start a different thread) what tools are we now talking about. I have a descent save-a-dive with a thin adjustable and small regular adjustable, box wrenches, hex keys, brass picks, and the such.

Thanks,
Erik

And this was a bit of my point in the thread that this is spun off of. For myself, a 30-40 dive a year diver, is it worth the financial output? And, honestly, I’m all for leaving the first stage to the pros. Second stages, however, I would be interested in doing at least maintenance and cleaning on. I have D6 Signatures and DRIS Illusions with kits for all four. At the risk of hi jacking (@formernuke let me know if you want me to start a different thread) what tools are we now talking about. I have a descent save-a-dive with a thin adjustable and small regular adjustable, box wrenches, hex keys, brass picks, and the such.

Thanks,
Erik

Tool list is in the D6 service manual

Service Manual

Reactions: Zef

Thanks,
Erik

I started this for the benifit of everyone. Just me I have the list for my pratice one by PM.

I have a pratice first and second in the mail. Special thanks to @James79

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom