Tools for regulator maintenance...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have begun the process of repairing a couple of old regs I bought last spring and I've found I may need a couple of tools. I have a fairly extensive set of standard and metric wrenches, hex wrenches and the like, but I am looking at a couple of possible "specialty" tools that may make things easier.

So, from you experienced folks, what do you find you actually use? Brass o-ring picks seem a bit silly to me, for example, but spanner wrenches and specialty "keyed" tools might be quite helpful.

Also, if you have links to good tools you like or find useful, (hopefully at reasonable prices) I'd appreciate those as well.

If it matters the regs are a Dacor Pacer 900 and a Voit/AMF Swimaster MR12 II. Here's my original thread query about these...
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/repairing-your-own-gear/378191-question-about-used-gear.html

Pretty much every tool you need can be found in the link below. About all I can recommend is a really nice IP gauge. You will need a pin spanner, but you will need to take a measurement from your reg. I made a pin spanner for Apeks regs by taking an old pair of craftsman pliers, drilling a hole in the end and inserting a pin. Really it doesn't take a lot of tools to rebuild regs. They are pretty simple.

There are some tools that are nice but not necessary. Like an inline second stage adjuster. I really like having one and got the one without the IP gauge in. I also check my IP almost every time I rig up my kit so I have a decent portable one I keep in my Save A Boat Dive Kit. Might be a good idea to grab the Scubapro specialty tool since you have a set of those regs. Comes in handy on the beach or boat sometimes.

You will also need a lubricant of which I use Tribolube, but others swear by Christolube.

Scuba Tools

Last edited:
Peter, I actually bought the IP gauge you recommended to me in another thread last year, I just hadn't gotten around to actually rebuilding these regs yet. Thanks for the link. I think the pin spanner is what I was calling "keyed tools" since that's basically what I was thinking of but didn't know the name for it. I was considering using some needle nose pliers or jewelry pliers but I'd rather not trash the reg doing that...

An excellent pin spanner is the kind used to open the back of waterproof watches. Infinitely adjustable and different diameter pins. I've had a kit for years, because I collect and repair vintage watches as a hobby. Much better than ordinary pin spanners, though probably more costly. Compared to old Omegas regulators are robust uncomplicated things.

I had forgotten about the old thread (you have a PM from me- before I read this and went back). The MR-12 first stage you have is the old, original style with a gen 2 second. It is a different beast inside but you can still use AL parts in it. The balance chamber is somewhat of a bear to service as it was intended to be replaced instead of serviced. It uses the same orings are the later MR-12s but they are not nearly as easy to get out. You will need some form of pin spanner to get the HP assembly out, it sets inside the reg, below the diaphragm. The tool needs to be able to reach down into the cavity and engage the 2 holes in it. The HP assembly is brass so a good bite on the pin holes is important otherwise you can damage the holes.

FWIW Piranha Dive just announched a 20% off promo for dive accessories. I was scouring their website looking for stuff I don't need and came upon this tool you might be interested in. Put "eric" into the promo on checkout. It shows out of stock but I am not sure if they offer the same price once back in stock. Also not sure if it has the hex along with the screwdriver type. There are two different commonly used tools for adjusting the second stage.

2nd stage regulator adjusting tool with gauge, Piranha Dive Manufacturing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom