Toothpaste etc to clean new mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't be surprised if your mask will always fog.. it's "normal". I have a aqualung that never liked anything I did to it... I were forced to fire it at every single dive or it will end to foggy. In the end I put it apart to be used as backup, every other mask I own went OK after the first/second toothpaste/fire treatment.
Some masks for whatever reason will continue to get foggy no matter what you do to them...

I went the toothpaste route (white abrasive toothpaste - not the fancy gel types), applied with a wet(ish) cloth and rubbed for a good while and a good rinse.

Defog applied liberally prior to a dive (spit works pretty well) and generally don't have an issue with fogging (unless there is a large temperature differential which might cause a bit). If it fogs, allow a bit of water in, slosh it about and mask clear.

As said earlier in the thread, you might have to clean it a few times as natural oils can build up by handling it.

I had a lot of trouble with my mask fogging. Probably more trouble than most. It actually got to the point that I gave up at first and just learned to keep enough water in the mask to slosh around and clear it. Some more experienced divers told me "if you've cleaned it with toothpaste and it still fogs you must be breathing in the mask". I didn't totally give up and I found that once or twice was not enough for the masks that I had. I also found that time does very little. I had a mask that was two years old and it still fogged. Both that one and the one I bought new fogged equally as bad. Both are high dollar masks and suffice to say that they are "high enough" dollar that there was never entertaining of any thoughts to take a flame thrower to them.
I just kept scrubbing with toothpaste, Sea Buff, and a product similar to Comet called Zud. Also, it is important to rinse and dry the glass in between scrubbings, otherwise you are just wiping around the same stuff you are trying to get rid of. Zud is a powder type cleaner, but it uses phosphoric acid to help clean things instead of just soap. I am not saying this is any better or some magic cure, I am saying that all masks are different and I think I got two of the worst case scenario masks I could have got, Typical of my luck...black cats dribble at the sight of me. It took at least 7 or 8 good, thorough wash down and scrub with paste cleanings and then when I had really given up and believed I was wasting my time at this point....they both stopped and haven't fogged since. Best advice...keep on scrubbing and don't give up.
I don't know if it is silicone itself or some sort of mold release agent that is the cause, but I know this...whatever it is, it don't come off very easy and it can take 10 times of being scrubbed on to see results. I have a third mask on the way and I am going to try another "method" to try and speed things up a little. There is an automotive paint product made specifically to remove silicone before spraying and prevent what's known as "fisheye". I will post if it helps or is otherwise worth doing.

Last edited:
Yes comet is abrasive, and no it is not harder than glass.

Years ago my instructor told me to use either Comet or Ajax. I put the powder on the inside lens, added a few drops of water to make a paste, and scrubbed with my finger for several minutes. I scrubbed really hard. Worked perfectly and now before I dive I use a few drops of whatever type of mask defog is close by and have no issues ever. Never had to burn or flame a mask.

Some time ago a manufacturer’s rep recommended using glass stove top cleaner to clean his company’s mask as there were significant isuues with fogging. We now use stove top clear exclusively to clean all masks both new and for routine cleaning. Works better than toothpaste and a lot safer than flame cleaning. Work also for cleaning slates. Just a note, no manner of cleaning or defog will help a ‘nose breather’

.......Just a note, no manner of cleaning or defog will help a ‘nose breather’

Yes sir, also if you are diving in really cold water especially with a low volume {close to your face} mask. One other tip I have is that it might not be a bad idea to clean the entire mask, strap and all and not just the lens...the mold release or whatever it is has to be all over the entire mask, so if you just clean the lens it is just a matter of time before it works it's way back on the glass.

Some time ago a manufacturer’s rep recommended using glass stove top cleaner to clean his company’s mask as there were significant isuues with fogging. We now use stove top clear exclusively to clean all masks both new and for routine cleaning. Works better than toothpaste and a lot safer than flame cleaning. Work also for cleaning slates. Just a note, no manner of cleaning or defog will help a ‘nose breather’

I use this as well. No problems with fogging.

The amount of misinformation on these threads is unreal.

Yes, "glass stove top cleaner" will work. Of course it will. It's an abrasive cleaner that will scrape all manner of grease and silicone from your lens. There are many other toxic abrasives that can also be used.

BUT: IF YOU DON'T COMPLETELY REMOVE THE STUFF AFTER USE, they can make you go blind.

Here's the label warning for glass stove-top cleaner.

Product Warning: Household: flush immediately if product enters eyes, keep out of reach of children, keep out of eyes.

Remarkable. Toothpaste is cheap, available and safe. Works well. Why would people put a known ophthalmic toxin in a mask?

Too much drama tridacna... a good wash with the hot water will clean all the residues, of course you don't go underwater with the lens full of cleaner.. lol.

The amount of misinformation on these threads is unreal.

Yes, "glass stove top cleaner" will work. Of course it will. It's an abrasive cleaner that will scrape all manner of grease and silicone from your lens. There are many other toxic abrasives that can also be used.

BUT: IF YOU DON'T COMPLETELY REMOVE THE STUFF AFTER USE, they can make you go blind.

Here's the label warning for glass stove-top cleaner.

Product Warning: Household: flush immediately if product enters eyes, keep out of reach of children, keep out of eyes.

Remarkable. Toothpaste is cheap, available and safe. Works well. Why would people put a known ophthalmic toxin in a mask?

Toothpaste should should also be kept out of eyes. And for the same reason, both contain abrasives. Of course this is the exact reason we would want to use them to clean our mask lenses. If your eyes become irritated by either Cerama Bryte or toothpaste the treatment is the same, rinse with water and see a doctor if irritation persists. MSDS for Cerama Bryte https://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/1a/1a676dea-e4d2-4753-8d02-d7885b07b170.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom