Toothpaste etc to clean new mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First mask I had, I used the toothpaste method but I don't think I actually got enough of the manufacturing film off the lenses, so it would occasionally fog. The second mask was flamed by an instructor. He held a lighter flame at the center of each of the lenses and you can see the film burn off and leave a black residue. After some rinsing, it was clean and never fogged. He was about to do the same to my friend's mask when he noticed that my friend's mask's lenses were plastic! He said the mask was probably only for snorkeling.

I guess the key lesson is to make sure the lenses are glass, which does have the film residue as part of the manufacturing process. Plastic probably doesn't.

There is no “film” of Silicone. The silicone penetrates the microcavities in the glass lens which prevents a hydrophilic substance like baby shampoo or any other anti-fog substance from blocking up those cavities. That’s what you’re removing. The flame burning a “film” is illusional. Burn any piece of glass and you get the same effect.

Anyone seriously comparing the ophthalmic toxicity of diluted toothpaste to oven cleaner is having a bad hair day.

Oh where is iDocSteve when you need him most?

And I’m still waiting for @MAKO Spearguns to explain the “chemical reaction between silicone and non-abrasive toothpaste” in the Mako video.

Why would people put a known ophthalmic toxin in a mask?

Because we are fearless divers and if one does lose an eye, wearing an eye patch adds to the coolness effect.

Eye patch and very heavy Scottish accent....."I was defoggin' masks when you werrrrrrrre at yourrrrrr mother's teat!!!!!!" My kinda diver!!! Hey, we said it would clean a mask. Nobody said anything about going blind, leave that part out!!! Why does somebody always have to ruin things?????

Bought a new mask today....tomorrow I'll perform toothpaste surgery on it.....:wink:

I may even start with a flame thrower, move to Ajax and then finish up with Colgate.

Bought a new mask today....tomorrow I'll perform toothpaste surgery on it.....:wink:

I may even start with a flame thrower, move to Ajax and then finish up with Colgate.
This is why we can't have nice things.

There is no “film” of Silicone. The silicone penetrates the microcavities in the glass lens which prevents a hydrophilic substance like baby shampoo or any other anti-fog substance from blocking up those cavities. That’s what you’re removing. The flame burning a “film” is illusional. Burn any piece of glass and you get the same effect.

Anyone seriously comparing the ophthalmic toxicity of diluted toothpaste to oven cleaner is having a bad hair day.

Oh where is iDocSteve when you need him most?

And I’m still waiting for @MAKO Spearguns to explain the “chemical reaction between silicone and non-abrasive toothpaste” in the Mako video.

First, it is a stove top cleaner not an over cleaner. There is a big difference there.
Second, what do you consider an "ophthalmic toxin"?
Cerama Bryte lists 4 ingredients under its "amy irritate eyes" warning. Monobutyl ether and diethylene glycol are both solvents. Monobutyl ether evaporated very quickly, the main reason the cerama bryte becomes a power. Diethylene glycol is water soluble and is washed away with a quick rinse. That leaves 2 components, feldspar and citric acid. A drop of lemon juice would have more citric acid than any residual amount of cerama bryte left on a mask after cleaning. That leaves feldspar. Feldspar is an abrasive. Any residual, again considering the small amount left after washing a mask, would be no worse than getting dust or an eyelash in your eye.

I may not be an iDoc, my doctorate is in organic chemistry. There is no 'scary' chemical in cerama bryte that can "make you go blind". (provided you don't pore it into your eye)

This is why I have given up TV for Scubaboard. The simple question of how to clean a mask has generated 3 pages. Who needs soap operas?!?!

I still contend that toothpaste is the best way to go, but it has nothing to do with eye safety, and everything to do with my mask being minty fresh.

It also worked well in college to patch small holes in the apartment walls long enough to get our deposit back. Toothpaste is almost versatile as duck tape.

This is why I have given up TV for Scubaboard. The simple question of how to clean a mask has generated 3 pages. Who needs soap operas?!?!

I still contend that toothpaste is the best way to go, but it has nothing to do with eye safety, and everything to do with my mask being minty fresh.

It also worked well in college to patch small holes in the apartment walls long enough to get our deposit back. Toothpaste is almost versatile as duck tape.

Three pages? Do a search :wink: This is one of MANY MANY other threads on this exact same subject. I reckon that this is the first known introduction of oven cleaner into the mix. By a chemist no less!

Who knows, in a few months, someone may suggest pure hydrochloric acid as a fix? I bet that it works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom