Toothpaste etc to clean new mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may not be an iDoc, my doctorate is in organic chemistry. There is no 'scary' chemical in cerama bryte that can "make you go blind". (provided you don't pore it into your eye)

"iDoc" is a joke. IdocSteve was a troll. Veteran SBers will understand. (He was not an ophthalmologist).

The problem with introducing toxins, especially those with "keep away from eyes" is an insurance issue. I work part-time at a dive store. Recommending a product with known eye toxicity issues to our customers is probably not a good idea.

"iDoc" is a joke. IdocSteve was a troll. Veteran SBers will understand. (He was not an ophthalmologist).

The problem with introducing toxins, especially those with "keep away from eyes" is an insurance issue. I work part-time at a dive store. Recommending a product with known eye toxicity issues to our customers is probably not a good idea.

You keep referring to oven cleaner and eye toxicity. Stove top cleaners are not oven cleaners. They are basically a liquid form ajax or comet. And you still haven't stated what is toxic.

Rather than trying to misconstrue what I said why don't you explain what you said.
"IF YOU DON'T COMPLETELY REMOVE THE STUFF AFTER USE, they can make you go blind."
Really?
"Introducing toxins"
Again, Really? What toxins.

The following is from the MSDS on Colgate toothpaste. http://www.colgate.com.au/Colgate/AU/Corp_v2/ContactUs/MSDS/pdf/colgate_total_stripe.pdf

Eye Contact.
If in eyes, hold eyelids apart and flush the eyes continuously with running water. Remove contact lenses. Continue flushing for several minutes until all contaminants are washed out completely. Seek medical attention. Eyewash and normal washroom facilities.
Sounds like the same warning as on Cerama Bryte.

You come out with a line like "IF YOU DON'T COMPLETELY REMOVE THE STUFF AFTER USE, they can make you go blind."
And you accuse me of being on a soap box?

I'm sorry but I just can's subscribe to the FUD principle, whether is it part time at a diveshop or online.

I do admire your typical internet debating skills however.
Try to change what you said. stove top cleaner to oven cleaner.
Falsely attribute an argument to your opponent and then ridicule that argument. When did I say oven clean, other than repeated attempts to correct your misconception of my statements.
Ridicule your opponent. "By a chemist no less!"
And then accuse your opponent of being the one on a soapbox.

Bravo.

Magic Eraser is a plastic that "crumbles" and becomes a 3000-frit abrasive. Which, curiously enough, is what Bon-Ami cleaner has always been. Diatomaceous earth, aka Fuller's earth, a fine abrasive that was also used in traditional "tooth powders" and then in tradtional "white" toothpastes like Crest and Colgate. All the same thing, all 300-grit abrasive. Comet, Ajax and other cleansers switched to the same mild abrasive back in the 90's after getting too many complaints of damaging plastics. Zud or Bartender's Friend use something similar, plus oxalic acid to clean rust--which should have no value to a diver.

There's simple physics behind it all, but there's nothing that an abrasive will do besides clean off dirt and oils, which MIGHT be "seeding" water drops to condense and fog the glass. Commercial water repellants really should be able to outperform them.

I'm from the "slosh a little water around" school. Never have to pack it, never have to apply it, never seem to run out of it. No warnings about keeping it out of my eyes, either.

All I can say is that I used abrasive toothpaste three times and still had some fogging under certain conditions. After I used a cigarette lighter and burned off the film in my mask I have not had any fogging at all.

Toothpaste it for as long as you can, then a good ol spit in it before each dive does the trick. The cheaper the toothpaste the better too!

Spit doesn't work equally well for everyone. My spit sucks. (undiluted) baby shampoo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom