Toothpaste, really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lot's of previous threads on this subject can be found.
I flame my masks, quickly and carefully. The scrub them with mild abrasive "magic eraser"
Later on, if mask gets dirty it will fog again.

Dishwasher? Love the idea, concerned about ultimate result. I like this idea, not so much for the film removal on new glass but for cleaning my grotty ones.

@Dan_T this almost makes me want to get a new mask to burn off the silicone! Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Dan
If you've got an aversion to using any of the techniques or products already mentioned then another option is this stuff:
"Sea Buff"
Amazon.com : Sea Buff Dive Mask and Dive Slate Cleaner and Precleaner Scuba Diving Diver G... : Diving Mask Defoggers : Sports & Outdoors

I bought some with my first mask before I found out you could use toothpaste or a flame. This stuff works, but I'm pretty sure all the techniques mentioned in this thread work just as well.

Toothpaste has the added benefit of leaving your mask smelling minty fresh!

. . . Or a mild abrasive paste and patience scrubbing.

Here's the abrasive index for various toothpastes:
https://www.williamsonperio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Toothpaste-Abrasiveness-Ranked-by-RDA.pdf

I could swear I recall reading in a previous thread that the problem with using toothpastes as mask cleaners is that most are not as abrasive as they were decades ago when this advice originated. So you want to use one of the MORE abrasive toothpastes on the list, not a mildly abrasive one.

I just use good old Johnson's Baby Shampoo, works on brand new masks much to my surprise when a Filipina friend of mine used it on her brand new mask.

Instant conversion :D

I'm a delicate flower. Even Johnson's baby soap bothers my eyes.

Lemon scent Soft Scrub. Rinses easier than toothpaste. Make sure you do it 5-6 times.
That’s a new one I hadn’t considered...lots of good “grit” in that stuff,...might try that.

I'm a delicate flower. Even Johnson's baby soap bothers my eyes.

I am also a delicate flower.....the scent really bothers me. My anti-fog solution must be scent free. :) The baby shampoo makes me feel nauseated which doesn't help on a dive boat or liveaboard.

My defogger must be my spit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom