Toothpaste, really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be very careful using cerium oxide on a mask. It will micro-scratch the glass. Too much and you will have a harder time keeping the fog off.

I guess I need to work harder on company name recognition. As an FYI, our masks (and other gear) is sourced from the exact same factories that are utilized by the larger brands who sell their products through typical retail stores.

Our masks are excellent quality, the price is lower because we sell direct. And YES we do recommend the "flame technique" for our masks.

This may be old hat for you seasoned divers, but it's helpful to us noobs.

I won't run the risk of melting the silicone as I know I will get too close to the edges, so the toothpaste is the way I've do mine.

Regarding #51 Derek is right, if you use the wrong (too coarse) grade of cerium oxide. Unfortunately I do not know what the right grade is. Its about 10 years since I bought it and I just described to the supplier what it was for and they sent the correct grade for optical polishing. I would think optical grade diamond lapping compound would work as well..

My Sea Vision mask did not need any initial defogging. Am I the only one happy with the not scrubbed and not burned outcome?

Micro gloss liquid abrasive. It's a 1 micron abrasive purpose built for cleaning / polishing aircraft windows. Works better than any other product I have found on masks. A small amount lightly worked with your thumb for about a minute on a new mask seems to do the trick. It's an abrasive so its for stripping / cleaning the glass, not as a daily defogger.
upload_2018-9-10_20-42-35.png

Micro-Surface 3MG2 Micro-Gloss Liquid Abrasive - Type 1 Cleaner & Polish - 2 oz Bottle

I've done two rounds of toothpaste on my mask and I can say with 100% certainty that there is no signs of a cavity.........of course maybe that's because it still fogs up and I can't see them clearly?? :facepalm:

Round 3 of toothpaste underway.

you guys seem to confuse dirt/cleaning with fogging. Both impair vision, but it's two different things. A hydrophobic silicone oil residue film might even work as an anti-fog and prevent fogging rather than cause it.
Cleaning: white spirit dissolves silicone residue on glass, but apply very carefully. Dishwasher and flaming should be OK for the glass but may damage plastic parts of the mask.

My bathroom mirror is very clean but always fogs. This is just a matter of cold surface + humid air. After cleaning the mask, you still have to apply some anti-fog (spit, baby shampoo, ...) and cool your face before diving in cold water; warm water divers may not need it.

I tell people to use old-fashioned white toothpaste and rub it on the glass until their finger gets sore. That usually does it.

you guys seem to confuse dirt/cleaning with fogging. Both impair vision, but it's two different things. A hydrophobic silicone oil residue film might even work as an anti-fog and prevent fogging rather than cause it.
Cleaning: white spirit dissolves silicone residue on glass, but apply very carefully. Dishwasher and flaming should be OK for the glass but may damage plastic parts of the mask.

My bathroom mirror is very clean but always fogs. This is just a matter of cold surface + humid air. After cleaning the mask, you still have to apply some anti-fog (spit, baby shampoo, ...) and cool your face before diving in cold water; warm water divers may not need it.

No not really.

I was underwater for about 20 minutes and even with repeated flooding of the mask, it would fog within seconds. Certainly after that length of time under the water both the mask and the face would have been at equal enough temperature, that fogging wouldn't occur within seconds?

Oh well we will see what happens later this week when I try it out again?

Back
Top Bottom