Top 5 Favourite Dive Sites in South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duiker island

cape town..........hmm, i have done quite a few of the usual popular ones, castle rock, the ss clan stuart, a frame and a few others but i am not that fond of the cold water so maybe i am a little biased :d - i did however one day do an excellent dive out of hout bay harbour and we dived on a ledge with just dozens of seals all around us, i forget the name of the spot now but that was a worthy dive indeed, even if it was cold and fairly short.:wink:

---------- Post added March 30th, 2015 at 06:38 PM ----------

Top 5 Shore Dive Sites in Cape Town:
Miller's Point/Shark Alley - Dive with Broadnose sevengill Sharks (Cow Sharks) (Notorynchus cepedianus) and Spotted Gully Sharks (Sharptooth Houndshark) (Triakis megalopterus) a relatively easy shore entry.

Patridge Point (Simon's Town) or Duiker Island (Hout Bay) for an awesome encounter with Brown Fur Seals (Cape Fur Seals) (Arctocephalus pusillus)

Across from the 12 Apostles Hotel there are a few dive sites so close together that you can do them together in one dive or spend a day there doing a few dives, the water tends to be relatively cold but the dives are beautiful. Antipolis wreck, Justin's Caves (more like swim thrus than actual caves), Sandy Cove & Strawberry Rock to name but a few.

Castle Rock (Simon's Town just passed Miller's Point) not a hard shore entry with beautiful colours and fish life makes for an awesome shallow dive with option to explore into deeper waters.

A-Frame (Simon's Town) beautiful, colourful, full of life even has a resident Spotted Gully, easy entry. Can be a bit tricky if there is big swell.

Top 5 Wreck Dive Sites in Cape Town
Smits Winkel Bay, 5 ship wrecks close together well overgrown and always some fish, sometimes stingray's, whales, dolphins, sharks can also be spotted. Especially nice if you like wrecks and depth. (Deep 20's to mid 30's)

Clan Stuart (Simon's Town) a nice shore entry about 6m - 8m deep nice day dive site and even better at night. At night hundres of White Sea Catfish / Sea Barbel (Galeichthys feliceps) can be seen here.

MV Aster & MV Katsu Maru (Hout Bay) a nice short boat right about 28m max depth. They are close together (+/- 30m apart) with the Aster being scuttled after being cleaned and the Katsu Maru sinking while being towed to HoutBay harbour after being holed. The Aster sits up right on the bottom and the Katsu Maru is on her side.

SSMaori/MV Boss 400/SS Oakburn a long boat ride into a shallow bay with 3 awesome wrecks, do these as a two tanker or go with a group of experienced people and do them all on one dive. 6m - 22m really an awesome site to visit again and again.

SS Lusitania a very long boat ride to Cape Point, dive along Bellows Rock and sink to 35 - 42m to dive this beautiful wreck and reef. best done with an experienced group and on a very calm day.

Only African site I've dived so far was the Egyptian Red Sea. Have been out of the water for 6 months with about 6 more to go before I can resume dive travel.

Back
Top Bottom