Top Dawg underwater video housing, lights, and accessories.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akscubainst

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have for sale a Top Dawg underwater video housing, lights, and accessories. It does not have a camera included but any Sony 8mm, MiniDV or other camera that will fit in the housing will work in it. Fits over 150 Sony cameras. In order for the external controls to work, your camera needs to have a LANC port on the camera.

In really good shape, has a little bit of corrosion on the inside where a AA battery leaked but doesn't affect any operation or cause problems

System includes:
Housing
Regular back with a window
Monitor back with a LCD monitor showing what the camera is filming
2 lights specially made for Top Dawg / Light and Motion, batteries and Chargers
Pelican Case specially cut for the system
Lens cover
Weight plate to put on the bottom if you aren't using the lights

About $3000 invested, Asking $1650 paypaled and shipped in the US.

20140105-IMG_0167.jpg20140105-IMG_0161.jpg20140105-IMG_0164.jpg20140105-IMG_0162.jpg

FROM THE MANUFACTURER:

Why Top Dawg?
Since 1994, the Top Dawg design continues to offer the best features at the lowest price. One housing continues to fit 99% of all Sony camcorders ever made and thus the Top Dawg maintains its value more than any other housing in the industry. Its a perfect solution for new video shooters who want a housing to last through multiple camcorder upgrades. Unlike other housings, the Top Dawg offers the most rugged design, affordable price, and maintains the greatest resale value of any housing on the market.

Secure camera mounting and flexibility
The spring loaded and locking camera tray prevents accidental camera damage during installation or removal. 40 unique camera positions will fit all Sony video cameras and allow you to easily relocate the camera when adding wide angle and macro lenses or just an extended life battery.

Camera compatibility and control connections

Sony LANC, REMOTE, and 10-PIN compatible
The Top Dawg housing provides camera control via the LANC or REMOTE jack on Sony cameras made through 2007. Beginning in 2008, Sony replaced these jacks with the new 10-PIN or A/V jack. Top Dawg now supports all of these Sony connector types. Simply plug in the appropriate control cable for essential control at your fingertips.

Camera Controls

Power: On / Off
Mode: Video / Photo
Record: Start / Stop / Photo
Zoom: Tele / Wide
Auto Focus: On / Off / Momentary Auto
Manual Focus: Near / Far

No-Holes Service Free Controls... at your fingertips
Essential camera functions are actuated with electro-magnetic controls and thus eliminate any need for o-rings on the controls and allow them to be positioned at your fingertips. Unlike mechanical housings that require a long reach and over 20 o-rings to keep the water out, the Top Dawg housing is easy to control and essentially service free. This feature alone saves most shooters well over $250 per year in service bills and makes it easy to get the shot when the action is hot.

Reliable Electronics
The Top Dawg remains the most popular rental housing since 1994 for a good reason. Unlike many electronically controlled housings on the world market, the Top Dawg system features the most field proven and reliable controls available.

Double O-ring Seals
The Top Dawg is one of the few underwater housings that features double o-ring seals on all critical zones. The rear plate with widescreen monitor back features two o-rings and thus twice the protection. The seal design in NOT a face seal as with most housings. The Top Dawg features what's known as a bore or piston seal design, thus the o-ring pushes hazardous debris out of the way as it enters the precision machined surface.

Aluminum vs. Plastic Body Construction
Top Dawg housings are crafted from precision machined aluminum for years of dependable service. The use of aluminum allows us to insure tighter specifications and utilize the more reliable design of double piston o-rings seals. Unlike clear plastic designs, the aluminum case is much less prone to lens fogging, allows for a lighter weight system, and better protects the camera while baking in the sun on the boat deck. You won't find a more affordable and more universal aluminum design on the world market.

Crystal Clear Glass Optics
The font port of the Top Dawg is large enough to accommodate over 100 camera lens positions and is constructed of clear optical glass for scratch free images even in rough conditions.

Best Resale Value of any Housing
The Top Dawg housing is a favorite of educated shooters dues to it long life. Since the Top Dawg accommodates so many camera models, it the easiest to sell used once a shooter decides their ready for a custom housing or have moved on to another sport. Out of all housings available worldwide, you'll only ever see a 10+ year old Top Dawg shooting the latest camera on the market.

Does My Camera Fit? Which new camera is best?
Please see the official Top Dawg Website - Compatibility Chart to confirm your camera fit and review the latest hot picks of Sony High Definition cameras.

I used the Top Dawg for several years... it was my first video housing. Loved it and the flexibility of using a wide variety of Sony camcorders in the housing. Sony did change their LANC protocol and fittings a few years ago so newer cameras won't work in this housing but I used everything from an 8 to an early HD camcorder in my Top Dawg without a problem. Great "starter" unit.

Bump - I'd really like to move this out, I'm not using it and I know there is somebody who would like to have and actually use it. Price lowered to $900 or give me a reasonable offer.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom