Top dive spots -- worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Are the top dive spots really worth it? :confused:

My wife and I plan to live in Bali for a year (lucky us!) and we're looking at traveling to other sites in "Greater Bali" like Raja Ampat, PNG, N. Sulawesi and the like. We've started looking at prices, and Oh, by the way, these places are *really* expensive! (some of them, anyway).

All prices are for two people including two nitrox dives / day (though we might do more and pay more), and accommodations including food. Not including transportation. BTW I have done all of them except Misool resort (diving in the Misool area was just GREAT!!!) and Tawali. The Mermaid trip was with my dive club so I did pay somewhat less.

Baseline: We can spend a week in Cozumel for about $2,200.

Bali baseline: we can spend a week in Amed for about $1,700 -- the diving is much better than in Coz, but not as good as RA, IMHO.

Murex Manado or Murex Bangka: they quoted $2,500 for a week

Tawali resort in PNG: $4,000 for a week

Mermaid liveaboard: About $8,000 for 10 days (four dives / day, four star liveaboard)

Misool resort in RA: $7,000 for 8 nights (unlimited diving)

So....help me decide! We want to dive as much of the "greater Bali area" as we can, sure! And there are more alternatives than what I have listed: e.g. Lembeh, Banda, Ambon, Andaman Is / India, ... That's why we are moving here for a year! At the same time, although we have some financial flexibility, we are not rich (which I define as we can't do whatever we want whenever we want). We will have a budget. If we spend money in one area, that means we can't go somewhere else. Is a trip to RA (which I loved but my wife didn't get to do) worth more than two trips to Manado and Bangka? Is the trip to Misool worth more than Ambon and Banda put together? Clearly the travel from Bali to Tawali is going to be pricey, if we go there we also want to go to one of the cultural experiences, so we're looking at $10K for a several week trip.

I know in some sense I am asking an impossible question :no: -- at the end of the day, no one can decide for us. But I also know we are not the only ones who have dealt with these alternatives.

I would like to hear what others have to say.

Thanks,

Bill & Emily

I'd probably prioritize a couple of "must do" areas and see what's left over in the budget. You don't actually have to spend a week in one spot either (obviously there are some exceptions with places like RA where you have transfers to contend with). One could quite easily split a week between Lembeh and Bunaken, diving a few days in each. If one particularly strikes your fancy, put it on the list to return to later in your trip if you've got the money.

Tawali in PNG would be at the top of the list personally, I think Milne Bay has unquestionably been my favourite diving destination in the 20 years I've been certified.

I guess the decision is whether you want to take the chance and risk a few big trips on destinations you aren't sure you'll enjoy, or do more shorter trips and get a more varied taste of what Indo/PNG have to offer. If there's some places that stick out then you can always return to them in the future on another trip. This doesn't need to be your only trip to Indonesia :)

This looks familiar. Once you get settled in to Bali and logs some dives talk to your new friends in the dive business and see what deals you can cut. There are constantly last minute offer for Liveaboards at discounts. They often depart Bali so you, of all the people in the world, will be perfectly located and able to act on it.

Yes: I thought Komodo was well worth diving and seeing even after diving Bali, which i loved. You can find some good deals and budget operators. Dive Bali for 6 months then go, you will be fine with the conditions and appreciate it.

Hi Bill & Emily. I'm one of the owners of a new resort in Triton Bay, West Papua. Trying to get the word out that W Papua isn't only Raja Ampat, and that there's pretty good diving here too. Anyway, I'm running a special promotion for a couple for a week of diving for less than Euro 3,500. If interested in more info, please visit our website at Triton Bay Divers or email me at info@tritonbaydivers.com. Cheers,

I prefer several economical trips than a few expensive one.

To steal a phase: "A bad day of diving is better than a good day at work".

Ambon and Banda can be combined easily and also quite cheap if you are not expecting luxurious resorts. We dove Banda and Ambon with the German guys from dive blue motion and simply loved it. Yes, the accommodation is basic (Mandi iso shower), the food very local in Ambon but as we had our focus on the diving it was a good alternative. The diving in Banda was exceptional and the island is unspoilt from touristic activities. Check their website for more info: Dive Bluemotion - Diving in Banda and Ambon - Diving with Bluemotion in Banda & Ambon .

The other thing i liked was diving in Maumere. We stayed at Sea World Club with a good price - quality ration. Here you find more info: Official website | Sea world Club Resort, Waiara, Maumere, Indonesia.

Did you check NAD in Lembeh or Living Colours on Bunaken? Not sure if they are cheaper than Murex though..

For Raja Ampat, we stayed with Raja Ampat Biodiversity: http://rajaampatbiodiversity.com. At the time we were there, they were much cheaper than the other well-known resorts. And it was lovely (went back a second time a year later!).

A colleague recommended this resort: Sanctum Una Una Dive Resort Togian Island - Amazing Dive Indonesia Togian Island in Una Una Volcano . I don't know it personally but they seem to have good rates.

I'm convinced if you look a little bit further than the known companies and if you are flexibel with "luxury", you will find plenty of affordable opportunities you can travel from Bali.

Dived Cozumel in 2013 and dived Raja twice in 2014 no comparison, Raja definitely worth the trip. Personally, not sure what people see in Cozumel. Doesnt have to be done expensively, first time went to Biodiversity which was well priced, second time on homestay which I wouldn't recommend. First time in March Raja Ampat was absolutely amazing, best Ive ever seen, but when I went in June it was pretty ho-hum disappointing. If I had gone in June first up I would have wondered what everyone raved about. Dived Komodo and Alor last year - fantastic. Alor was amazing, a hidden paradise with hammerheads, mola mola, dolphin superpods, minke whales, walls, healthiest coral and muck, going back in March - cant wait.

Most of our guests think the Halmahera Sea, or more specific Weda Bay, should be in the top three list of Indonesia.
Rate: full board accommodation plus 3 boat-dives USD 189, - per day per person. Often very good "last minute deals".

I think Wetpup will agree........theres a certain 'darkness' at Milne Bay - that puts it right up the top there for me too. Above Raja. Sometimes I think basing your decision purely on economics is not always the right way to go.

I think Wetpup will agree........theres a certain 'darkness' at Milne Bay - that puts it right up the top there for me too. Above Raja. Sometimes I think basing your decision purely on economics is not always the right way to go.

Yep. Much like I thought the submersible dive on my Cocos Island trip was too expensive, I still did it. Sometimes the experience is worth the expense. Mindblowing experience.

It never fails to amuse me how many people go to East Africa and never go on safari, even for a couple of days, because it's too expensive. And I just sit there scratching my head. If there's going to be one thing you should budget for...lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom