Top Six Reasons why one would want to dive with a Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm guessing this thread was started by someone other than Larry or Joe.

Just a question....what happens if you vomit with a FFM on? I have twice in a decade been hit by savage migraines at depth, I can spew through my reg and swap to octo to keep things under control until I can get through a safety stop without panic, just wondering how a FFM would work in this situation.

The good thing about the full face mask is probably the ease of breathing and protection, but other than that i feel that it would be hard for people to switch to something that would feel unfamiliar to them especially divers who have been diving for many years. New divers would probably be more open to it so maybe the marketing should be more focused on that group. Plus it looks too scary hahaha

Great post though.

Just a question....what happens if you vomit with a FFM on? QUOTE]

Then you can smell and "re-taste" your breakfast through your nose and mouth :D

Thats kinda what I thought ajduplessis hence why I havent bothered trying one.....was worth asking the question anyway :wink:

Both of you make valid points. We are just trying to create new topics for discussion. I will take notes and do better next time.
How about "The umpteen reason why one would not want to dive a full face mask"?

It's hard for some to clear their ears with FFM
It's considerably more expensive
In 20+ years of diving, I've never had a regular mask come off during a dive.
Communication? I dive to get away from people's yammering.
Vomit? Nope, half mask better
Gas Switches -- Yikes
All of the things you listed for Accessories are currently being added to traditional masks.
Clearing a FFM is more difficult for some people.
More drag while scootering at high speeds.
Donating gas, in my opinion, is less safe. While donating a long hose that I'm currently breathing off of, I know that the regulator is supply gas to my buddy in need. If I donate an octopus, I'm not absolutely certain is hasn't developed an issue, because I've not breathed off of it since my s-drill on the surface.

Donating gas, in my opinion, is less safe. While donating a long hose that I'm currently breathing off of, I know that the regulator is supply gas to my buddy in need. If I donate an octopus, I'm not absolutely certain is hasn't developed an issue, because I've not breathed off of it since my s-drill on the surface.
The long hose is for the octopus.
If anyone is using Air 2 or something similar then you will have to tolerate your buddy breathing only inches away from your face.
The FFM is a lot heavier so it will eat away your precious allowance.

We are just trying to create new topics for discussion.
And, fortunately, that has begun to happen. You pointed out some positives. A few others have pointed out some limitations. Both types of posts probably help SB'ers learn something about FFMs that they might not have known, or thought about, before. Ideally, more posts will appear that address the strengths and weaknesses.

As for the marketing issue, I am not sure there is anything wrong with that. In this case, it wasn't at all oppressive, there weren't FFM ads included in the post, and I have seen much more aggressive marketing in a lot of threads on SB. As that 'interesting' US President, Cal Coolidge, said, 'The chief business of the American people is business.' So, maybe the OP was doing a little business. Aren't we all? There are plenty of posts on SB that recommend specific gear configurations, or specific training techniques. There are quite a few posts by instructors describing how THEY teach a course. Like it or not, we are 'selling' - ideas or concepts, perhaps, but selling nonetheless. There are quite a few posts recommending specific shops or instructors. Isn't that business? Do we know that those posts are all purely unbiased, objective posts?

I have used FFMs on a couple of occasions. I didn't care for the first experience - I felt claustrophobic. I thoroughly enjoyed the second experience, but the equipment was, at least from my perspective, better. Plus, I did it as part of a 1-student class, essentially serving as a test subject for a friend and colleague who was preparing to begin teaching a FFM Distinctive Specialty, and wanted to work out some logistical details of his offering. I learned a lot. And, as an instructor, it was valuable to me, to have the experience to broaden my own background. I would probably own and use one, more often, were it not for the cost.

Frankly, I am glad the topic has been raised. Hopefully there will be exactly what the OP said they wanted - discussion of FFMs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom