Topside activity ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2ODoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We haven't been to Coz in 7 years and are looking forward to our trip next week. We will be spending 10 days there compared to our normal 7.

Any ideas for topside diversions? We'll probably do two morning dives each day which leaves a lot of time of other activities. So far, I'm thinking:

- random shore dives in front of Blue Angel (our hotel / dive op)
- rent a car for the day and drive around the island
- try some of the great restaurants

Aside from that, we are open to ideas. I was thinking of finding a beach and doing snorkeling / laying around. Someone mentioned Aldora as a good place for that. What if we aren't guests there?

What about trying another dive op for a day just to mix it up a bit? Aldora does different locations than most?

Fishing? Nothing too serious - maybe a partial day.
Stand up paddle board - do they do that in Coz?
Windsurfing?
Mountain biking?

Thanks all!

We haven't been to Coz in 7 years and are looking forward to our trip next week. We will be spending 10 days there compared to our normal 7.

Any ideas for topside diversions? We'll probably do two morning dives each day which leaves a lot of time of other activities. So far, I'm thinking:

- random shore dives in front of Blue Angel (our hotel / dive op)
- rent a car for the day and drive around the island
- try some of the great restaurants

Aside from that, we are open to ideas. I was thinking of finding a beach and doing snorkeling / laying around. Someone mentioned Aldora as a good place for that. What if we aren't guests there?

What about trying another dive op for a day just to mix it up a bit? Aldora does different locations than most?

Fishing? Nothing too serious - maybe a partial day.
Stand up paddle board - do they do that in Coz?
Windsurfing?
Mountain biking?

Thanks all!
We used to rent a car for the excursion around the island and I did the driving, but the past few years we have hired a cab for the day. For a group our size (5-9 folks) it's actually cheaper than renting a van, and I get to hang out in the back and have a few adult beverages along the way. I like it a lot better.

We fish three full days on a typical trip, and now through June is the time to do that. The dorado (mahi mahi) are running and the migratory billfish (marlin and sailfish) are in the area as well. Full days are better because you have the time to go across the channel where the fishing is usually better.

I have seen folks windsurfing and doing the standup paddleboard thing there, but I don't know if anyone rents out the gear. There are a couple of plastic kayaks under the dive shop at BA that are there for guests to use.

The museum in El Centro is worth a visit.

There are no mountains to bike on Cozumel, but there are a couple of places that rent bikes. Be VERY careful on Melgar! Plenty of places rent scooters, but unless you are an experienced motorbiker I don't recommend that. Lots of visitors to the island have mishaps on scooters and some accidents have been fatal.

The restaurants? Absolutely! This forum has lots of recommendations.

Enjoy your trip! We are 3 weeks 5 days from ours and counting!

Not sure if you can snorkel at Aldora or not if you are not staying there, and yes, they are doing some dives up north, see their website some very cool stuff going on with them. if you did dive with them, then I'm sure they wouldn't mind you snorkeling off their property. Dave assures me that they have the best shore dive in the Caribbean just off Villa Aldora, but I haven't had a chance to check it out for myself yet.

Playa Corona has some pretty good snorkeling and is a relaxing place to hang for an afternoon.

Buccanos day beach is VERY nice. Some shore diving up there, maybe some snorkeling as well(?). Great food, historic setting, lots of activities.

San Gervasio ruins & another vote for the museum ( also a good place to eat)

They do kite boarding up at Punta Norte, check with Adrian at the Harley rental place, I'm pretty sure he has something to do with the kite boarding rental place too.

Albatros Charters can hook you up with a fishing charter. What are your dates? The big Fishing Rodeo (tournament) is going on May 15-17, might have a hard time finding a fishing charter that weekend.

I have seen stand-up boards, and think there are some rental places for them, but not sure exactly who and where.

yes, rent a car, or hire a taxi for the day, and do the "wild side"... Rastas/The Feedom Bar/Bob Marley's, Chen Rio, Playa Bonita, Coconuts, Mericabos .. hang out at the beach. On a hot day, the wild side is a nice place to cool off with the Caribbean breeze blowing in off the ocean.

May 8-9 there is the FINA High Diving World Cup, not sure where they are going to set that up, I assume near town somewhere

Last week of April, into the first week of May is the Cedral Festival. LOTS of stuff going on all week, horse races, bull fights, concerts, cultural stuff, arts & crafts ... big party!

and yes, absolutely, go in town and hit some of the restaurants. Sooo many good places, with the list growing all the time.

Great ideas, everyone! Thanks. That'll keep me from getting antsy.

My short YES list:
- fishing
- kayaking
- kayaking while fishing
- kayaking while fishing and drinking a beer
- America's cup sailing (on mstevens' list)
- Beachcoming
- Sailing - little daysailer would be excellent.
- Paddleboarding

My short NO list:
- Ironman - not on this particular vacation!
- Yoga - I really don't look great in yoga pants
- Working. I may throw my cell phone in the ocean.

When I was in Cozumel a few years ago, we lost a couple of days of diving due to a Norte.

On the 2nd day, we rented scooters. I believe the cost was $25.00 for the day, and a full tank
of gas when we returned them. Having never ridden a scooter before, all I can say is "what a hoot." :cool2:

We spent most of the day bar hopping and sight seeing. The group I was with was more into bar hopping
than sight seeing, but I think the scooter would be a great way to see a lot of the great sights, ie: ruins.

Divegoose

Here now. We killed time at Buccano's Beach twice. $8 or 100pesos per person but they take it off your bill at the end. Food is good and drinks are cold. Snorkeling was decent. Lots of fish. Current was fast; you walk south and get in, then take the current north.
Bonus*
Good eats:
The Lobster Shack right across from Thirsty Cougar
Casa Cuzamil (ceviche was awesome)
Otates (looks like a dump, food is tasty and cheap)
Le Chef (famous bacon lobster sandwich)
La Perlita (Thursday night is 2 for 1 Lion Fish night)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I was in Cozumel a few years ago, we lost a couple of days of diving due to a Norte.

On the 2nd day, we rented scooters. I believe the cost was $25.00 for the day, and a full tank
of gas when we returned them. Having never ridden a scooter before, all I can say is "what a hoot." :cool2:

We spent most of the day bar hopping and sight seeing. The group I was with was more into bar hopping
than sight seeing, but I think the scooter would be a great way to see a lot of the great sights, ie: ruins.

Divegoose

You pays your money and you takes your chances. Scooter accidents are by far the most common reason for a tourist's visit to the emergency room on Cozumel, and climbing aboard a scooter after you have been drinking, especially if piloting a scooter is a new experience for you, is IMO an exceedingly bad idea. My brother launched a scooter into a ditch on Cozumel and spent the evening getting sewed up, and my dentist was killed on a rented scooter in Mexico. The skipper of the boat we fish from there and the son of a friend who runs a restaurant there were both in serious accidents on scooters, and my friend's son was killed.

Sure, I did it and I survived, but I sure wouldn't do it again. Everything is fine until it's not.

Every day there are scooter accidents in Cozumel and many fatal. Combine that with bar hopping and you have a serious chance of joining the statistics. I have been in Cozumel now for 23 years and would never let a friend rent one…when you can get a car for $40.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Back
Top Bottom