Torch considerations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Y

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This may go awry in just a few posts however;
I'm looking for good suggestions for a torch for blackwater. My experience with lights in blackwater goes as far as one of the pelican handheld pistol grip style lights. With that, one must hold a gauge about 12 inches in front of my face to read it. Its also been my experience that the light in those flashlights seem to dissipate outward to the sides basically like the light is being wasted as it is not focused enough in the right area. I also realized that particulats in the water can reflect light too.

I understand that there are far better torches out there.
Just wondering if there are suggestions on torches that are better for the blackwater environment.

And on that note, I am "shopping around" for a torch that wont break the bank so to speak. Would like to try and stay under $300.00.

Thanks all.

Look for a light with a tight beam, say 5 degrees or so. Many of the tech oriented lights fall into this category. You do not note whether the light will be primary, backup, or dink around light. The light above would be backup or dink around light for me. If $300 is your limit it would appear that you are looking for a primary light. Have you considered a can light?

It's be a primary light. Options are open. I can manage a can if need to. It will be used for river diving looking for goodies on the bottom.

Go for the Gold,GREENFORCE...you will not be a [Unhappy Diver],with there line!
Quality doesn`t Cost.....It Pays!! in the long run....

Hi there,
I did a tons of tests recently comparing major brands on the market and so far in the price range you looking and "black water" cond. I would go with 3XPG hand held torch from Light For Me. 1000 lumens out of it, 6 - 10 hours of constant burn time from 3 x "C" batt. in US & Canada sold by tecdivegear.com (addwaterscuba.com). If you're looking for something more (really) powerful then choose model 7XPG or 4TEC from the same company. There is a lot of video from comparisons and tests on YouTube, channel: youtube.com/user/LightForMeUSA?feature=mhum

Good luck !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom