Torch & Red Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lateralus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I like making vidoe's of my dives. I dive with a GoPro and always use a red filter. I notice that the red filter works well if the sun is out and the water visibility is good and I'm not past 30' deep. Once I get to 80'-100', everything in my video looks blue, as opposed to green. There really isn't color.

I'm wondering if a light (torch) will correct this issue.

What happens if you have a red filter on and a torch at the same time? Is it overkill? or will it correct this issue?

Last edited:
The advice I've gotten is to go with one, or the other, but not both. I've seen some video where both a filter and light were used, and the foreground is over-red.

The lights have limited range, so if you're shooting at a distance the filter might be your best bet. For closer subjects, get rid of the filter and go with the lights.

At least that's the advice I've been given. For what it's worth, I've not used the filter, just lighting. Close subjects look good, but at a distance (exact distance depends on the light), it's useless. I'm buying a filter set to see if it helps.

The other advice I've heard on lighting if buy the brightest you can afford, with a 120 degree beam angle, and pay attention to battery life and whether you can replace batteries in the field.

It's a very long story. To make it short lights are usually much better than filters (in terms of image quality). Here is why:
Red filters don't add any light/color, they just reduce blues and greens. Hence in an underwater scene shallower than 30 feet (where only red is low), the filter reduces blues and greens to bring them closer (i.e. balance them) to the red and the scene looks more natural. Problems arise when you go deeper where even green gets low. Red is totally absent, the green is low and the filter reduces it even more and you get these totally blue scenes. BTW you can get filters for different depths and different water colors (greenish vs blueish etc) but all of them suffer at depths/waters other than the ones that they are designed for.

Now for lights. Bring a light (preferably wide angle - not spot one) with you to a dive at depths of about 30feet (10 meters) and deeper and you will be amazed by how much nicer colors and richer details you will be able to see even during a day dive.
Lights illuminate (i.e. add light to) the object so you can see it much clearer and in full color. Problems arise with objects that are further away. Then the power of the light is not enough to illuminate them adequately. So further objects (including background like the far end of the reef or the ocean etc) retain their blueish colors.

Keep in mind that the lights have drawbacks too: they can be expensive (one light is usually not enough :) ), they need batteries/maintenance, they are heavy, they can flood (they have o-rings), they need arms/trays to move/attach them, etc etc
Filters on the other hand are very easy to use

To sum up:
- for videos with good ambient light (clear, shallow water in a sunny day) filters are ok.
- for videos deeper than ~30 feet and/or without enough sun light (bad visibility, not sunny day) filters are not ok and lights become your only option
- for videos with objects near the camera (macro and up to several feet/meters) lights are very good
- the further away your object is from the camera the stronger lights you will need.

About the combination filter+lights it simply doesn't work. 99% of the time you will get unusable videos i.e. very wrong colors. So wrong that it will be very difficult to correct them even in post processing.

BTW I am far from being an expert. I am just trying to give you a simplified explanation of what's going on...
I hope it helps.
Good luck

Last edited:
So I just got back from diving Grand Cayman and I fouled around with a lot of combinations.

I recorded this video. It was my favorite and had the best color. In the video I was at a depth of 100'.Visbility was around 70 feet. It was great, just not excellent like Cozumel.

I had the Backscatter filter on (50+) with both 2 torches (Deep Blue 1200 XW). In the video, I even turn one off to see how much color is lost.

Grand Cayman - East Wall - Streamable

I'm editing my stuff now.

So I just got back ....

I recorded this video. It was my favorite and had the best color. In the video I was at a depth of 100'.Visbility was around 70 feet. It was great, just not excellent like Cozumel.

I had the Backscatter filter on (50+) with both 2 torches (Deep Blue 1200 XW). In the video, I even turn one off to see how much color is lost.

Grand Cayman - East Wall - Streamable

I'm editing my stuff now.
Nice. Any thoughts as to why the turtle's posterior shell shell is red? (I'm viewing on a phone, can't see details, though the colors are vibrant.)

Nice. Any thoughts as to why the turtle's posterior shell shell is red? (I'm viewing on a phone, can't see details, though the colors are vibrant.)
No clue. Scar tissue maybe? They are a lot of reef sharks around that wall. Saw 2 big ones on that dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom