Torn Between Two Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @GRH

The Eon Steel Black with transmitter appears to go for $1540. The Perdix AI with transmitter $1235. I'm glad you are happy with your purchase, I hear the display is phenomenal. Would be nice if they offered Buhlmann on the Core and D5, that would make them more attractive.

I can only conclude that Suunto realized that the only way to gain traction in the the serious rec group or the tech group is to offer Buhlmann.

Hit the nail on the head I was impacted by both recalls. I had to pay for shipping both ways and it took 2 months for them to fix it.

So we have denying the problem, not notifying the consumers even after it went to class action law suit (I should not have found out here, suunto should have notified me) and having to pay for shipping.

I get it; I bought a used Audi 100LS while in college and something was always breaking and I had an electrical problem I never could fix. I decided never to own another Audi even though their recent models don't seem to have any more issues than other top car manufacturers.

While I won't be purchasing an Audi again due to the bad taste Audi left in my mouth, they are my sons favorite brand and I don't let my poor experience ruin his positive experience.

OP>
5. Larger screen and excellent visibility is very important to me. I will not be wearing this device as a watch. My 58 year old eyes are not getting any better. Go big or go home! If forum members believe one screen or the other has better visibility, that would be important to me.

I believe the OP mentioned visibility in the context of screen legibility, not water visibility. I think this is somewhat personal, as I don't consider the Excursion difficult to read and I like 1.25 readers when using a book. I would say the OP needs to weigh up the size of the unit vs. screen legibility. If they are completely fine with the Peregrine form and price, then that's a good solution. However if they wanted a cheaper alternative and the Excursion form was acceptable, then I think that it would also be a good solution with quite a savings.

For those with poor eyesight I had Tri Focal intraocular lenses and my cataracts done. For some people having just the cataracts done will take away the dim vision they have. One of the reasons I bought the Perdix was that it is clearly visible especially on low vis and night dives. Also you can adjust the display brightness for those low vis conditions.

With all the ruckus, I almost forgot to tell you.

I am the proud new owner of a Shearwater Peregrine.

:D

Attachments

• F1A4D385-7B78-4FB4-B14B-B092CB81E925.jpeg
    F1A4D385-7B78-4FB4-B14B-B092CB81E925.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 74
You’re not going to go far wrong with that. No compass, no AI, but you can live without those. Solid and safe choice.

Hello Divers,

After a long hiatus, I am getting back into diving. The inspiration is a trip to Roatan a year from now, but I plan to get started practicing and diving here in my local New England as soon as I acquire a thick enough wetsuit to get the party started.

From reading here and elsewhere, it appears desirable to have you own computer, both to keep track of all your dives and because if it is yours and not rented, your comfort level with it will only grow. As a beginner, I know I don't need all the bells and whistles, so i have been focusing on entry level models. There are two that are at just about the same price that I am stuck on.

Everyone on our Forum raves about the Shearwater Peregrine, and it looks wonderful and solid. From what I have read, a new diver could not go wrong getting this computer.

At about the same price point, one could also acquire a Suunto Vyper. As I understand it, the Vyper is good unit and adds a few things the Peregrine does not have, like a compass and the ability to add air integration at a later point, which I would enjoy so that I could monitor my air use progress. Given the legendary New England visibility, a compass seems like it would come in handy too.

A good thing to know about me is that I am not much of an upgrader. I tend to do my research, spend a bit more than bargain basement, and keep things for a long time. If I chose the Peregrine, I will not be upgrading it soon. The Vyper strikes me as something I can grow into, but perhaps at the cost of some quality and the legendary Shearwater customer support.

Any advice and/or nudges are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Hello:
I am sure you’ve had plenty of advice and all. If I may offer mine. I’ve owned and used 3 other dive computers before I bought my Perdix AI. One of those was the Eon core. Although the core is good, it’s not what I would call an intuitive watch. If you never use a Perdix you would think you had a great computer. I did. However, after using the Perdix ai and fiddling with it under water it will blow you away with the menu and how if is showing just what you need and the sub menus are just in my opinion easier to follow. All that said, all Shearwater computers pretty much have the same menus. The difference being AI non AI tech or o tech etc.

If your interested in a peregrine or Perdix/Perdix AI. Just remember you can buy a used one and have peace of mind. The after care service of Shearwater is outstanding and they will take care of you.. I had a bad transmitter I bought used and they replaced no problems.

Good luck with your decision.

Glenn

With all the ruckus, I almost forgot to tell you.

I am the proud new owner of a Shearwater Peregrine.

:D
Well done, had mine now about 6 months.
I love you can read the thing and so easy to navigate the menu, unlike some I have had/have.

Don't get any dive computer that'll lock you out.

A dive guide on a recent dive got locked out because he forgot to set it to EAN 32%.
Said he realized midway through the dive and decided to vicariously dive through the diver he was guiding.

But he was locked out and had to use another dive computer from the dive center.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom