Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update July 25th Tornado
- I got tired of waiting for the electric motor guy to make me a cable and plug. Brought it back home and Antique Diver Bill helped me wire up a plug. It wasn't working for some reason. Then I discovered some broken plastic on the starter box... It might have gotten bumped and broken while sitting at the electric motor repair shop. Then I noticed the whole front end of the starter could be pushed inward. Bill explained that's what turns on the motor. So, I plugged in the power and pushed in the front of the starter with a wooden dowel... ZOOM! The electric motor started right up and ran the compressor just fine. It built up 500 psi of pressure in no time and I shut it down.
- So, the compressor is good and the motor is good. But, I had another distraction... That has kept me from continuing. I bought another compressor!
- I found a deal I could not pass up... A nice Aero Tecnica Coltri MCH-6 compressor for only $250. Jill and I were able to combine a trip to Fortune Pond with a little vacation in northern Michigan... And we picked up the compressor along the way. I have the story on that compressor posted elsewhere in the forum. That one is up and running really great now... So I should be getting back to the Tornado sometime soon! :)

Reply to tbone1004 - I will look into that steam cleaner idea. As for hooking my compressors up together, its just a "What if..." idea for now.

Update 10/31/19
- I had a great time scuba diving the rest of the Summer... Tweaking and using the little MCH-6 compressor for most of my tank filling. I actually learned alot about oil lubricated compressors that I might use on the Tornado/Kidde compressor.
- So now, the tornado is the next project. First on the list is fixing the motor switch so I can just turn it on and off. I've been looking at Youtube videos about how these things work. And it is looking like the Switch I have may still be usable in spite of the broken plastic cover. Jim Shelden has offered to help me over the phone so it will get done eventually.
- Other plans: I'm going to take the water accumulator and the filter to a hydrotestor to be re-qualified by Hydro and Visual inspection. If they're okay, I'll try to get this thing running as it was originally designed for. If those parts are no good, I can just hook up to traditional moisture accumulator and filtration. Lots of prospects for this compressor now that I know it works.

@SurfLung

Why is this thread in the "Classifieds" section? You're getting a lot of folks excited. :)

I don't think there is a DOT regulation nor certification stamp on the moisture accumulator nor the filter. I'm thinking to just have them tested for a 3600 psi operating pressure to assure that they are safe to operate. Run them up to 6000 psi in the hydro and if they behave properly, I can feel safe using them. I haven't asked the hydro guy if this is do-able but I'm going to give it a try.

@SurfLung

Why is this thread in the "Classifieds" section? You're getting a lot of folks excited. :)

Thanks Couv... I was wondering where it was. I started it in the compressors section but couldn't find it when I tried to post an update. Do you know how to put it back in the compressors section?

I don't think there is a DOT regulation nor certification stamp on the moisture accumulator nor the filter. I'm thinking to just have them tested for a 3600 psi operating pressure to assure that they are safe to operate. Run them up to 6000 psi in the hydro and if they behave properly, I can feel safe using them. I haven't asked the hydro guy if this is do-able but I'm going to give it a try.

if you're buddies with the hydro guy, and they have the fittings, they can obviously pump them up, but can't do anything with the results, so you'll definitely want to make sure he's a buddy and you bring a 6 pack for the hassle.

@The Chairman Could you shake a leg and get one of your underlings to move this thread out of the "Classifieds" section and back into the "Compressors..." forum.

TIA

Finally Some Progress...
- The old magnetic starter switch that came with this compressor was holding me back. First of all it was broken (by the electric motor shop I took the compressor to, I think). But also I was having a tough time figuring out how to wire it... Even with help. Then I found a new switch online for only $61... Already wired for simple ON/OFF operation. All I had to do was mount it and connect the motor and power wires. Here's a crude video:

- This is "test" wired. Pretty messy looking. Now that I know it works, I'll neaten it up and put the cover on it.
- Pressure Switch: I didn't wire in the pressure switch yet. I think I know where it goes but there are more than one way to do it so I'll ask Jim or Bill about it.
- The original pressure gauge is pretty beat up... Needle starts at 500 psi.
- Moisture Flush: Yes even THAT seems to be working, though it is plugged up a little. When the compressor is turned off, something in the oil pressure opens a port at the 4th stage so that all of the moisture accumulated in the moisture condenser blows back out with residual pressure from the system. There are no spigots for draining moisture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom