Torque wrench for regulator service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hawe two of them, the small one is 2-30 Nm, the large one is 1o-210 Nm.
I mostly use them working on the engines of my motorbikes.
On regulators I just use the small one for the retainer of the swivel turret of my SP MK5 - MK10.
For all other parts I do not find that using a torque wrench is "mission critical". It can be useful the first times you are doing the service. After a while your hand already knows how much force to apply...

Funny, I beleive the first torque wrench I ever bought was to properly tighten the rear axle on my motorcyle after having the tire replaced. I had read of horror stories where where shops did not properly tighten the axle only for the rider to find out on their own, narrowly escaping disaster. I did not want to be a part of that statistic, so I pulled and replaced my wheel(s) myself and ensured it was done correctly.

-Z

No but I've bought some other excellent tools from them as have my friends and if I were ever to buy a torque wrench for scuba because this is a scuba company I think I would give this one a shot although chris kippax and rhwestfall have excellent examples

The one I use was bought from a cycle shop and is 2 - 24nm had a calibration certificate as well

In the absence of a torque wrench a digital fish or luggage scale, together with a little bit of simple math, can be pressed into service with quite accurate results. If it is not quite apparent how then do a search on YouTube.

1) what drive would be best? (1/4, 3/8)

I have a Wera 2.5-25 Nm 1/4" drive for smaller torques and some larger house brand wrenches for larger torques. Many of the special tools made for regulators seem to have 3/8 drive. If you find one wrench with suitable range to cover all your regulator specific stuff, 3/8 might be the best choice.

2) Is there a manufacturer that makes a wrench to include this torque range for a reasonable price?

Yes, it is located somewhere in Taiwan or China and products are sold with many names. Most of the reasonably priced torque wrenches are ok.

Back
Top Bottom