• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Torque wrench for regulator service

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself - DIY' started by Meni, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Zef

Zef Divemaster

Funny, I beleive the first torque wrench I ever bought was to properly tighten the rear axle on my motorcyle after having the tire replaced. I had read of horror stories where where shops did not properly tighten the axle only for the rider to find out on their own, narrowly escaping disaster. I did not want to be a part of that statistic, so I pulled and replaced my wheel(s) myself and ensured it was done correctly.

-Z

2. Meni

Meni Angel Fish

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
  3. Julius SCHMIDT

Julius SCHMIDT Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    No but I've bought some other excellent tools from them as have my friends and if I were ever to buy a torque wrench for scuba because this is a scuba company I think I would give this one a shot although chris kippax and rhwestfall have excellent examples

Meni likes this.
  4. plexer

plexer Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    The one I use was bought from a cycle shop and is 2 - 24nm had a calibration certificate as well

5. grf88

grf88 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    In the absence of a torque wrench a digital fish or luggage scale, together with a little bit of simple math, can be pressed into service with quite accurate results. If it is not quite apparent how then do a search on YouTube.

6. Jim Lapenta

Jim Lapenta Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Meni likes this.
  7. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
  8. taimen

taimen Rebreather Pilot

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I have a Wera 2.5-25 Nm 1/4" drive for smaller torques and some larger house brand wrenches for larger torques. Many of the special tools made for regulators seem to have 3/8 drive. If you find one wrench with suitable range to cover all your regulator specific stuff, 3/8 might be the best choice.

Yes, it is located somewhere in Taiwan or China and products are sold with many names. Most of the reasonably priced torque wrenches are ok.

Meni likes this.