Torque Wrench Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ams511

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Anyone know how to repair a torque wrench? I picked up one off of eBay and it does not seem to work properly, the reading on the gauge seems significantly less than the force I apply.

I have no idea but as I too have a torque wrench was curious, I came across this it's on calibration so no idea if it's going to be of any help or not. I'm guessing not as I sure you did your own search, but anyway.

How to Calibrate a Torque Wrench: 10 Steps (with Pictures)

Nice article, though they are not calibrating the torque wrench but verifying and calculating an adjustment formulae.
It can be done with a known weight or with a luggage scale.

While it is not calibration, I check the accuracy of my torque wrenches by "attaching" two together and verifying that they are getting abo9uyt the same result. Put a socket on one that will engage the square on the other and which "clicks" first. then play with the settings to see how close they are. Try it at various settings of the range you want to use.

Unless properly calibrated by a certified calibration facility you might as well use a crescent wrench and "wrist calibration". At the weapons maintenance facility I worked at if a torque wrench was dropped it was taken out of service and had to be recalibrated.

Unless properly calibrated by a certified calibration facility you might as well use a crescent wrench and "wrist calibration". At the weapons maintenance facility I worked at if a torque wrench was dropped it was taken out of service and had to be recalibrated.

This is what makes me suspect there is a problem. My "wrist calibration" tells me I am using more force than what the dial says. The wrench itself looks like new. I think I will call Grainger tomorrow and see if they are able to check it.

---------- Post added April 6th, 2014 at 06:29 PM ----------

While it is not calibration, I check the accuracy of my torque wrenches by "attaching" two together and verifying that they are getting abo9uyt the same result. Put a socket on one that will engage the square on the other and which "clicks" first. then play with the settings to see how close they are. Try it at various settings of the range you want to use.

Thanks I will try that.

If it is a "click and break" type there is a screw in the handle that could be misadjusted or broke. If it is a bar type it could be stressed from over work. The trick with a bar type is if you torque 50 clockwise when finished torque it 50 counter clockwise to keep the stress balanced.

I have a number of these, in ranges up to 1200 ft lbs. they are all basically the same. I drill the rivets that hold the case together, and clean and lubricate the gears inside the case. While the case is apart, put the square head in a vise and make sure the gears work through the whole range of motion. I often find lint, scunge, or drek in the works. I use graphite or bike chain lube in the works, then I rivet the 2 halves back together.

the navy threw them away when they failed cal. I rescued them, and have used them now for 30 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom