Tortola and Virgin Gorda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi!
I'm leaving for the British Virgin Islands June 20th 2001. 11 more days. Woo hoo!
If anyone is going to be there then, I'd love to meet you. I'll be staying at Prospect Reef and Little Dix. If you've been there already, I'd love to hear your advise.
:sunny:

Hi Natasha,

Lucky you.

Little Dix is easy--take money & lots of it.

Here's what I know about Tortola:

In terms of accommodations, Prospect Reef Resort modest but neat & clean. Not on a beach, but can walk to it - has only a man-made sandspit. Baskin in the Sun is the on site - excellent operation with great attitude. Long Bay Beach Resort is quite upscale - on a gorgeous beach. A bit remote - rent a car.

Pusser's pub in Road Town informal dining - Wets end one more upscale. Spaghetti Junction has good Italian food at reasonable prices. Pub at the Fort Bert Marina has "all you can eat" nights. Jolly Roger's also a good value. Be sure to party at Bomba's - whatever intoxicant you want can probably be obtained there.

If you go to Tortola, do not expect any walls or big marine life. Look for water temps of 77 plus/minus 2 degrees. Look for low 80s air temps with regular wind. This is not a monied sailors area for nothing. Can rain in afternoon. Viz varies quite a bit depending upon island, site & weather conditions, but look for 40-100, mostly toward to lower end.

Dive sites quite varied, including wrecks [see Rhone off Salt Island (ENE of Tortola), & Chikuzen off Dog Islands (SSE of Tortola) & Inganess Bay off Cooper Island (ENE off Salt Island)]. Rhone is especially nice & a super night dive. Lots of patch reef with decent macro action (e.g., Alice's Wonderland) - don't expect much big stuff, except maybe around Santa Monica Rock. Could, however, catch whales in the Sir Francis Drake Channel in late Feb/early Mar. Rhone is popular so book ahead if you can. Diving for the more experienced off north coast of St. Johns at Carval Rock.

Nice thing is, from any of the BVIs you are only about a 35 minute boat ride from any major dive site in the region.

Have a complete blast.

DocVikingo

Doc, Wow thanks for all the help. You know so much!
I do have my dives planned with Baskin, but I don't have my dives planned while at Little Dix. I don't believe they have a dive shop there.
I think Bitter End Yacht Club might. I was still planning on doing some work on this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
It's great having a Doctor in the house.:)
:

Hi Natasha,

Shucks, maam, t'weren't nothin'.

In Little Dix, "Dive BWI" will take very good care of you.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Doc, thank you once again. I did finally get time to go to http://www.scubadirectory.com and put in Virgin Gorda. Since KingNeptune does a great job keeping that the directory up, there were several dive shop choices to look at.
I can hardly wait!

Don't miss the Rhone, the freighter sunk after hurrican Berta off Cooper Is, and, best of all, the Chikuzen. The latter one is in very open water, 80' sandy bottom, but fantastic. I have even seen a mermaid there, with pictures to prove it.

I did dive the Rhone and loved it.
I would also love to see your mermaid picture.
Can you post a link to it here?

Hi Natasha, yes, there is a story behind this - actually, multiple stories. My first wife, Karen, and I frequently visited the BVI, usually diving off bareboats (i.e. sailboats you rent without a crew. THis is the best way to see the wonderful BVI Islands). In 1996. we spent nearly half a year on a sailboat boat there, just the two of us (very romantic). Karen was always intrigued by the elegance of mermaids and had herself a golden mermaid wetsuit made. It worked exceptionally well, she was strong and fast -much faster than me in my two fins - and incredibly graceful. She dove on the Chikuzen wearing this suit and on about 100 other dives, also in the South Pacific. We had to cut short out trip because she got sick. It turned out to be pancreatic cancer, and she soon passed away!
Two years later, in 1999, I met Dr. Anita Borg, who became my second wife. She is the lady in the (turquoise) mermaid divesuit on the Rhone wreck. She loved diving like this as much as Karen did. Anita passed away from brain cancer, in April this year. A big memorial will be held for her next month, where we expect more than a thousand women working in high tech to attend....

Last week I finally finished editing the many hours of underwater videos of these two wonderful women diving as mermaids and turned it into a rather stunning DVD (to quote some scuba-diving friends).
cheers /www (these are just my initials, i.e. Winfried W.W)

Back
Top Bottom