Tortuga68's GUE Fundamentals course report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do, but I've never done a trimix dive - maybe I'll enjoy it even more, who knows... Anyway, it's another tool in the toolbox

Reactions: Jax
I do, but I've never done a trimix dive - maybe I'll enjoy it even more, who knows... Anyway, it's another tool in the toolbox

The trick that seems to convince people is not the cognitive tests that supposedly prove impairment but simply swapping regs with someone on helium at depth. I've heard things like, "The world just cleared right up!" Just make sure you've got appropriate decompression scheduled if you're breathing a different mix for more than a few seconds.

A few photos

Attachments

• IMG_3755.jpg
    IMG_3755.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3758.jpg
    IMG_3758.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3752.jpg
    IMG_3752.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 152
  • SB sunset.jpg
    SB sunset.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 128
Well to be perfectly honest spending 10-11 hour days on course while I'm on holiday isn't exactly my idea of fun, but yes I did enjoy it...

I expect to be back in PG in October and have already planned to do a couple of dives with Anders then. As mentioned previously, we both believe I can come up to the level required for a tech pass - I would have liked to get it during the course, but I didn't feel like I was there... actually I think Anders & Gideon thought I was closer than I did.

Anyway, I think the question is more Do I plan to go on to Tech 1/Cave 1? Not sure - definitely interested, but then the logistics of who do I team with will come into it (as well as there being limited - read non-existent - opportunities for Cave in PG), and the question of Trimix

I'm in much the same boat. Took Fundies last week with Gideon and passed with a Rec pass, as well as concurrently working on TDI DP/AN here at home. While I believe in the GUE system its not realistic to be able to follow it in many of the places I dive due to the simple fact that Helium isn't available. In that regard TDI is actually more suited to my needs even though GUE's arguments for using Helium are certainly valid and a better way to go.

After reading some of the horror stories about fundies on here I have to say, I just wasn't sure what to expect. My advice to those of you considering it is don't worry about it, you will come out of the course with a very clear understanding of what you need to work on and we all need work on something regardless of the "pass/fail" result. There is always the next higher standard and if you want to get there bad enough you will. Gideon back-kicked into the current for what seemed like an eternity while observing our drills, it was at that moment for me that I no longer cared if I passed or not, I just focused on learning as much as I could.

Why do you want to go down the trimix path? You clearly enjoy deep air deco dives???

I cannot comment on trimix yet :) But i can comment on depth. For me, depth is a very relative value. (And therefor also when ppl, usually non-divers, ask me "How deep do you dive?", i always answer with, "How fast do u ski?" :) I personally felt very comfortable on air at many dives at 55m in tropical settings, so u can imagine my surprise when i started freaking out in "mere" 25m when diving for the first time in dark, cold freshwater lake. So while in one setting to consider trimix may seem to someone as an overkill, in another setting it may be providing a useful layer of safety - for the very same person. That for me is a very good reason why to go down the trimix path, ultimately.

You probably will remember your next 100m dive better!!
Diving with Mark or Sam?

Dunno yet.... maybe Ethei for something different, always good to get another perspective. Will decide next year some time, there might be a project coming up that I would need to be on trimix to support. Was really happy with my ascents last trip, every stop spot on time so I'm satisfied now that I'm completely ready for trimix. I remember all my air dives pretty well but I'm sure there will be more detail on helium

Congrats Tortuga68 on the GUE-F pass. i can say i wanted to toss my gear after a class dive a number of times and often felt like a noob OW diver. Even when I passed (recheck) and got my tech pass I didn't feel like I did a good drive. I hope like you this time next year I can comment on my Tech 1 cert. Once again congrats you've earned it. Oh and thanks also info on the 5th port kit for my Apeks. I'm lovin it.

Very informative and enjoyable class report Tortuga68.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom