Torus vs. LCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Centexbear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Whats the difference between a Torus and an LCD wing?

Confused and couldn't find it on the DSS website.

Search is your friend :wink: From a previous thread:

The Torus wings are full circle,and the LCD wings are horseshoe style. If you have Torus wing of appropriate size and shape, and compare it to a LCD wing of appropriate size and shape there will be very little difference in venting, drag etc. Donut wings are nice, but they do not result in instant perfection in your diving.

That's the simple part.

First you need to determine the lift your application requires. Then it's worth taking a look at potential trim issues.

We now build wings that either offer more lift near the divers shoulders, or at the divers hips.

If I know a bit more about your height, weight, exposure suit, tanks etc. I can usually make an educated guess as to which style is appropriate.

Tobin

Whats the difference between a Torus and an LCD wing?

Confused and couldn't find it on the DSS website.

Torus wings are "full circle" or donut style, the LCD wings are "horseshoe" style.

All DSS wings are narrow and easy venting. Far more important than Donut vs Horseshoe is selecting the right capacity wing.

If you'd like some help picking out a wing let me know. I'll need to know:

Height and weight

Most buoyant exposure suit

Cylinders you are using.

Tobin

Wow thanks for the quick reply! Why do you make the Torus and LCD in different lift sizes?

Not being critical here at all...I'm new and trying to learn/understand!

Torus wings are "full circle" or donut style, the LCD wings are "horseshoe" style.

All DSS wings are narrow and easy venting. Far more important than Donut vs Horseshoe is selecting the right capacity wing.

If you'd like some help picking out a wing let me know. I'll need to know:

Height and weight

Most buoyant exposure suit

Cylinders you are using.

Tobin

I think you missed the "why", Tobin.

:wink:

Yes hehe

I'm sorry I worded that poorly. To be more specific, why don't you make both the Torus and the LCD in say the 17, 26, and 35. Why are the two models different in lift capacities?

We offer a wide range of wing capacities, single wings from 17 to 40 lbs.

Some of these are "Torus" style and some are LCD.

The 17, 26, and 35 are "Torus" and the 20, 30, 40 are LCD or horseshoe.

As I stated before, the first step is to select the correct capacity.

Torus vs LCD is way down the list of concerns.

If this fails to answer you question I'd suggest you give me a call.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom