Touch contact navigation procedures in low-zero viz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eirediver..

Believe me when I tell you there is already a 10 foot thick layer of zero viz at 70 throughout the entire quarry. Yes we are kicking stuff up and doing so by intent. We intentionally scraped the bottom as we were looking for a way down. So the only way to know what is below you is to drop down into it. Zero viz is zero viz. You either bottom out and kick crap up (which is a mute point cause its black anyway) or you find deeper water. We have been unable to find deeper water past this layer of silt. Deploying a shot line and measuring depth would be an easier way. We are taking the opportunity to work on contact navigation etc. Makes sense?

Where I am in Dublin, vis can range from 10m on a really really good day to absolute 0, (not seeing computer on wrist).

I feel quite comfortable in low vis conditions and if you start diving in low vis with current, you can dive anywhere.

What would you say the vis was? Sometimes the camera sees it differently than we do. I noticed you didn’t have bright lights, just two mounted on your helmet? I would definitely recommend a brighter light and SOLAS tape on your gear - it’s highly highly reflective, designed for maritime use and will be a good asset to you underwater.

I understand @Jim Lapenta suggestion for running a reel, but I wouldn’t do it yet unless OP has experience or has done a course giving him proficiency in the use of a reel.
Especially in low vis and dark water, it could turn bad quickly.

Use @tbone1004 suggestion, that’s we do sometimes. That’s the procedure you should use for gas sharing anyway.

Safe Diving

Eirediver..

Believe me when I tell you there is already a 10 foot thick layer of zero viz at 70 throughout the entire quarry. Yes we are kicking stuff up and doing so by intent. We intentionally scraped the bottom as we were looking for a way down. So the only way to know what is below you is to drop down into it. Zero viz is zero viz. You either bottom out and kick crap up (which is a mute point cause its black anyway) or you find deeper water. We have been unable to find deeper water past this layer of silt. Deploying a shot line and measuring depth would be an easier way. We are taking the opportunity to work on contact navigation etc. Makes sense?
I wasn’t talking to you. Don’t bother explaining zero vis to me, thanks. I know what it is.

Eirediver I was not trying to be disrespectful. I was trying to communicate the process we were going through to try and find a way through the muck. I have a DGX 600 I had as backup but did not deploy it. Totally agree the light was inadequate. What lights do you use? I have a canister light but dont feel its ideal in this type of situation. Thanks for sharing your insights. We chose not to run a reel for the same reason you point out. I think we are not there yet and we did not want to add another variable. At the darkest point we reached I could see my Petrel less than a foot away with my light. It seemed to get darker at every foot we descended. We bottomed out at 71 and never found deeper water so not sure if its even darker below that.

Last edited:
I wasn’t talking to you. Don’t bother explaining zero vis to me, thanks. I know what it is.

You clearly do not know what zero visibility is, and it's obvious you've never experienced it. If you did, you wouldn't ask such clueless questions such as the one you directed at me a few posts back to the effect of "why did your fins touch the bottom in a 5-6' deep lake in zero visibility".

I'm just trying to help

Eirediver I was not trying to be disrespectful. I was trying to communicate the process we were going through to try and find a way through the muck. I have a DGX 600 I had as backup but did not deploy it. Totally agree the light was inadequate. What lights do you use? I have a canister light but dont feel its ideal in this type of situation. Thanks for sharing your insights. We chose not to run a reel for the same reason you point out. I think we are not there yet and we did not want to add another variable. At the darkest point we reached I could see my Petrel less than a foot away with my light. It seemed to get darker at every foot we descended. We bottomed out at 71 and never found deeper water so not sure if its even darker below that.
Sometimes when I type they sound more rude than I mean for them to be :) I can’t afford any expensive lights yet but I don’t know anything about lights anyway. A canister would definitely work in your situation. I’ve heard good things about these: THOR Premium Light-Set - Deepstop GmbH
Finnsub Finn Light 3600 Long Torch
You might prefer this handheld one better but still expensive: Underwater Video Light | Series 5k Spot – 15° Spot / 120° Wide

You clearly do not know what zero visibility is, and it's obvious you've never experienced it. If you did, you wouldn't ask such clueless questions such as the one you directed at me a few posts back to the effect of "why did your fins touch the bottom in a 5-6' deep lake in zero visibility".

I'm just trying to help
You love calling people out and making arguments. Don’t ruin the thread. How am I meant to know if you can see the bottom or not? Some people make excuses about silting out the place and I thought you were someone who finds it normal to do such a thing.

Educate yourself first. What do you think Ireland and UK diving is well known for?!?! Of course I’ve been in zero vis!!

Think twice before telling others their own experiences please. Thank you

Zero viz is zerp viz. There's nothing darker than a cave that hasn't seen sunlight in say, 3000-10,000 years. What's the point of arguing about what zero-viz is? You can either see or you can't. Get over it.

BTW, there are procedures in place for navigating in zero-viz. No need trying to reinvent the wheel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom