• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Tough choice: $ummer job in NY (near Lake George) vs. regular job in FL

Discussion in 'North Eastern United States' started by J322Y, Apr 16, 2018.

1. J322Y

J322Y Contributor

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm a freelance catering chef. I've lived in FL most of my adult life and the work here will actually pay more on an hourly basis and be easier. I can gross more and improve my resume a bit with the summer gig at a camp in NY where I won't have much free time.

On the other hand I can stay in my own home, do the work I'm used to, and have plenty of time to dive Florida.

I'm really on the fence at this point and it would have made my decision easier to hear encouraging things about diving up north. I will probably take the summer job but giving up a Florida summer of diving is the biggest con.

2. J322Y

J322Y Contributor

Well I guess that's what I get for soliciting opinions from anonymous strangers on the internet.

3. NatureLVR

NatureLVR Rebreather Pilot

Wow!, your description of New England-type activities is spot-on and sounds better than the real life of those actually living there. Excellent work. The only minor difference is that I've never capsized a Laser, the Hobie Cat was my preference. It disassembled nicely to be stored in the basement of the cottage for winter.

aquacat8 likes this.
  4. aquacat8

aquacat8 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Oh, the Hobie Cat was FAST! And very pretty sails. I never got to sail one but they sure look fun. Unfortunately the last time I sailed a Laser I realized as I nursed my bruises that tumbling across deck and hardware in my grown up body was not as much fun as agilely hoping over onto the centerboard in my teenage body ;-(

NatureLVR likes this.
  5. NatureLVR

NatureLVR Rebreather Pilot

Sadly, I think I'm dating myself a bit. The Hobie was popular in the 80's, which was the last time I was on it. I think there is much faster out there, now that boats are designed on computers.:) We also used to have coconut oil sun tan lotion or Ban de Soliel in SPF 2, along with cigarettes, lobster and chardonnay. Times were different.

J322Y and aquacat8 like this.
  6. aquacat8

aquacat8 Solo Diver

Well we can still enjoy lobster... oh I remember the smell and orange look of that Ban de Soliel; I think it dyed the skin a bit. I miss believing the ritual first sunburn was "good" for you.

J322Y and NatureLVR like this.
  7. aquacat8

aquacat8 Solo Diver

8. rongoodman

rongoodman ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
  9. CT-Rich

CT-Rich Solo Diver

For a summer you can enjoy NY, a lot nicer than FL heat. If you were asking about a permanent move and diving, I would say you are better off in FL. You can dive all winter when you are done with Great Lakes diving and the water will be clearer and you’ll have mistake it for heaven.

NE diving will make you a much better diver.

10. J322Y

J322Y Contributor

Yeah, so this was a tough one. Lots of pros and a few significant cons to the summer position. Hearing great things about diving NY would have made it an easier decision, but the fact that there is at least some interesting diving nearby is enough to rationalize throwing my hat in the ring for this position.

Thanks to almost everyone who offered advice! :wink: