Tough love for the industry's lithium addiction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the subject of cheap knockoff batteries and chargers, I've bought a lot of electronics on Amazon, and the reviews are always all over the place as to whether the item advertised as OEM is the real deal or not. Based on other Amazon purchases I've made, where I've bought two or more of the same item, it seems clear that not everyone who orders the same item from the same link is getting the same product. Even with doing your due diligence, it's not always possible to know what you're getting.

I think sometimes what happens on Amazon is that people use the "see other sellers for this item" (or whatever it says) link and end up buying from a 3rd party "reseller" because it is the cheapest price. Those resellers are probably the ones selling knockoffs or relabeled cheapo items. But when people review the item, it ties back to the original item link instead of specifically to the reseller.

No, there are vendor complaints that Amazon fulfills orders with similarly appearing things that are not made by the same vendor. They supposedly end up in the same box on the floor due to the amazon logistics back end, so the picker grabs one out of box of many.

I think sometimes what happens on Amazon is that people use the "see other sellers for this item" (or whatever it says) link and end up buying from a 3rd party "reseller" because it is the cheapest price. Those resellers are probably the ones selling knockoffs or relabeled cheapo items. But when people review the item, it ties back to the original item link instead of specifically to the reseller.
first, Amazon "banned" sales of 18650's som etime back.. but there they still are. Just an interesting fact.

Second, Amazon prime orders warehoused and shipped by Amazon.. no matter what vendor (amazon or third party) if the item by UPC is in the nearest warehouse, it actually doesn't matter who actually owns it, Amazon ships the closest stock to the buyer. So if Amazon is buying say a legit SD card from a maker and has 5000 in stock west coast and runs out east coast and "Honest ABE SD Card wholesaler" uses Amazon prime shipping as a Amazon seller and has 1000 FAKE cards at amazon warehouses on the east coast, and Amazon itself sells 1000 cards on the east coast, Amazon ships the 1000 fake SD cards that "Honest ABE" sent to amazon warehouses for the prime shipping and warehouse program. Meanwhile any west coast buyer choosing HONEST ABE as the amazon seller is getting legit SD cards that Amazon bought.

Amazon is all about efficiency and keeping price low and this is actually a great concept, until you look at fake stuff like SD cards, Li-ION batteries etc.

That seems like the way to go. My "primary" home smoke alarm is AC powered with battery backup. All the others are battery powered. My main alarm needs to be replaced so based upon this thread I need to examine whether I can get battery powered alarms that can be interconnected (by wifi?) to a master unit.
I recommend check you state laws before replacing anything cause the laws keep changing.

As a personal anecdote, I have to say this discussion may have helped me catch an issue with my phone last week. Friday night I was showing an Instagram video to some friends at the bar and noticed that hitting the down button for the volume wasn't working. When I got home I opened up the aftermarket external case and found the factory-sealed back panel of the phone was popping off, presumably due to the battery swelling up. Suffice to say I did not take that phone with me on my flights the next day.

Was the battery still holding charge? To date I've thrown one slightly puffed few years' old "external battery case" for my phone, and one really bulging 10+ yo MacBook Pro battery. The way I caught the former was when swapping the SIM card after my plane has landed. The latter was really hard to miss.

Was the battery still holding charge? To date I've thrown one slightly puffed few years' old "external battery case" for my phone, and one really bulging 10+ yo MacBook Pro battery. The way I caught the former was when swapping the SIM card after my plane has landed. The latter was really hard to miss.

It was still holding charge, although having issues lasting through a full day with extensive use. I wouldn't have caught it if the volume button issue hadn't prompted me to pull the Otterbox case off.

On the subject of cheap knockoff batteries and chargers, I've bought a lot of electronics on Amazon, and the reviews are always all over the place as to whether the item advertised as OEM is the real deal or not. Based on other Amazon purchases I've made, where I've bought two or more of the same item, it seems clear that not everyone who orders the same item from the same link is getting the same product. Even with doing your due diligence, it's not always possible to know what you're getting.
That is why I no longer buy from an unknown third party; I go directly to the website for the device, they cost more, but they are covered under warranty, and should be the real deal. Sony batteries from Sony, Nikon batteries from Nikon, etc. You can buy them from a third party you trust, and some of these OEM websites will send you to a third party, but they should come with all the coverage you would get if you bought direct from the OEM.

There is a certain mindset that see's a problem and inevitably wants to ban an inanimate object as a solution. It seems to be the logical solution because it is the simplest. But these problems have a complex origin and need complex solutions. Education instead of knee jerk regulation.

There is a certain mindset that see's a problem and inevitably wants to ban an inanimate object as a solution. It seems to be the logical solution because it is the simplest. But these problems have a complex origin and need complex solutions. Education instead of knee jerk regulation.

This is a great concept, I agree whole hardheartedly. But you can point an individual at information, but you can't make them think. To be fair this is actually a damn complicated area and marketing/capitalism/greed do not improve the situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom