Tough time clipping off SPG. Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeckyll:
I had no problems finding the D ring, but just could not get the clip on there for the first 4 or 5 tries. I eventually got it, but it felt like it took 5 minutes (realistically it probably took about one minute).
You've had some good suggestions, but I'll tell you how I learned it anyhow....

I used to keep mine clipped off on the left shoulder D-ring, but for various reasons I switched to the left hip. Since I could no longer just look down to clip off, I had to learn to do it by feel and like you, had a heckuva time doing it with dry gloves!

First of all, my d-rings are the ones with a 45 (or whatever they are) degree bend. I find it helpful to have them not laying flat against the webbing when I need to access them (back to that thick dry glove thing). How I finally ended up consistantly being able to clip off the SPG was by feeling for it, flipping it out so it's perpendicular to the webbing with my little finger, then simply clipping off the bolt snap. Sorry, but yes, it took a bit of practice to get it consistant :07:

Though I've been told and am actually an advocate for not trying to solve skills issues with equipment, I did find that a larger bolt snal made it easier to unclip and reclip the SPG. Another advantage is when carrying stage or deco bottles..... I use small snaps for those, so I can easily tell by feel that I have the right bolt snap when I want to check my SPG :wink:

DA Aquamaster:
It gets about the same reaction from me as a non-diver walking up to me on the dock and asking me how much oxygen my scuba tanks hold.

And that is when you tell them.....that actually air contains 21% O2 and 79%.........:D

Did much better on todays dives. Keep practicing.

Still going to get a bigger clip though, I think between that and the practicing it will all be good. Thanks for the tips :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom