Tour operators start ban on full-face snorkel masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just learn to use a regular mask and snorkel. Anything goes wrong just tear it off and stick your head up. Seen it a hundred times with different people abalone diving that probably shouldn’t have been out there.

And they are not bad about dropping their weightbelt as well, considering the amount of weights I've picked up off the bottom over the years.

I’ll bet most or all people using FFM snorkels probably shouldn’t be out there in the first place. The ultimate gear solution to a skills problem IMO.

And probably wouldn't be out there, except they are interested in seeing the pretty fishes, and the tours do say it's perfectly safe. It never crosses their mind that they may not be properly prepared for the experience, and most times its of little matter, but sometimes... Kind of like diving.

But, there’s money to be made, so....

Everybody has to make money, some are a little more flexible than others.

Bob

And they are not bad about dropping their weightbelt as well, considering the amount of weights I've picked up off the bottom over the years.

And probably wouldn't be out there, except they are interested in seeing the pretty fishes, and the tours do say it's perfectly safe. It never crosses their mind that they may not be properly prepared for the experience, and most times its of little matter, but sometimes... Kind of like diving.

Everybody has to make money, some are a little more flexible than others.

Bob
Yes, exactly like diving. I guess some people with little or no "water" experience see the sign on the street and think "hey, maybe I'll try scuba".

Yes, exactly like diving. I guess some people with little or no "water" experience see the sign on the street and think "hey, maybe I'll try scuba".
It's such a hard thing to understand, that some people on the planet have never gone into the water (pool, lake, ocean, etc) ever. Until I met someone who didn't swim recently I really had a hard time believing people about the issue. Statistics like the one saying 90% of people on earth live within 10km of a body of water always threw me. Somehow some of us still don't bother swimming in it.

My sense is people who swim are in two categories: must swim for a living because they make their living in the water (many sailors can’t swim), chose to swim for pleasure because of location and circumstances. Where I live (inland city) swimming well is something done by the tennis, golf, field hockey and lacrosse crowd.

I saw these things for the first time while I was in HI. Tourists would come in droves to shore diving sites with these things. All the stores were selling them.

I never got a close look at one, but there didn’t seem to be anyway to clear it when it floods. And, you know their gonna flood it.

I saw these things for the first time while I was in HI. Tourists would come in droves to shore diving sites with these things. All the stores were selling them.

I never got a close look at one, but there didn’t seem to be anyway to clear it when it floods. And, you know their gonna flood it.
Original or knock-off, every one I have seen has a one way purge valve at the lower edge in front of the chin. Just exhale normally with your chin lower than your forehead, and it should clear.

Yeah but I think most snorkelers just take their mask off instead of blowing air in to clear the mask. That's what I did before I took a scuba class and learned the right way to do it. It's not a big deal to do if you're already at the surface.

Based on many responses, stupid people die and may deserve it since they were too stupid not to remove the mask from their head. Seems easy enough yet they are still dying instead of removing the mask.

Tourism numbers remind us that Hawaii's visitor base includes many Asian visitors. Many of these visitors come from places where the knock-off ffm might be the best seller.

Hawaiian waters are much different than most people realize...it is easy to get in trouble. Those visiting the islands aren't seeing the frequent news reports of visitor deaths and injuries; many from drowning.

The beauty of Hawaii seems wipe out the the thought of personal safety for so many. We see risky behaviors from swimming in rough water, standing on wet rocks along the shore, driving too fast on two lane roads and much more. Losing your mind on vacation is a good way for your loved one/travelling companion to have a sad, solo flight home.

Yeah but I think most snorkelers just take their mask off instead of blowing air in to clear the mask. That's what I did before I took a scuba class and learned the right way to do it. It's not a big deal to do if you're already at the surface.
Yeah, that's exactly what I did for decades snorkeling prior to my OW cert. Actually, right before the course I tried to clear my mask at the beach the "right way", but didn't get the correct angle. Funny the stuff you may not know. I also couldn't for the life of me figure why my ears hurt at about 8' when I wasn't equalising and wearing regular ear plugs!
That all sounds pretty stupid, but I do agree with grantwiscour's previous post about stupid people....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom