Traditional Norte Americano Thanksgiving dinner in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Will be arriving Turkey day afternoon and wondering what the options are for a "traditional" turkey day dinner (sorry, loves me some stuffing and pie, and will get my fill of local fare over our 14 day trip...)

I have read that Buccano's has a menu, but at $58 per it's pretty pricey. I know Rock n Java has also done this in the past. Any other restaurants or recommendations for this gringo?

Thanks

I think your findings would be better a day early in Torrance, CA.

images

Of course, you realize American Thanksgiving Day is not celebrated in other countries.
My favorite Thanksgiving memory was in Cuba where the dive boat served up a delicious fresh-caught lobster...
I was thankful.

Anywhere in the world where there are American expatriates living, there will be Thanksgiving dinners. You just have to get yourself invited to someone's home. That's the tricky part.

Just received a note from Lisa from Rock and Java:

"
Happy Monday.
We will post the menu on Tuesday. Early seating is 5:00. Is that too early? You can book at 6:30. The price is $350 pesos p/p. Children under 12 $180 pesos. Price includes
Full meal, dessert and non alcoholic beverages.
Saludos
Lisa"

Of course, you realize American Thanksgiving Day is not celebrated in other countries.
My favorite Thanksgiving memory was in Cuba where the dive boat served up a delicious fresh-caught lobster...
I was thankful.

Of course I do. Of course you realize a number of restaurants in Coz nevertheless serve such a Thanksgiving dinner, as I stated in the question. Hence the question.

Not really sure why people with nothing helpful to add bother with a response like that

Anywhere in the world where there are American expatriates living, there will be Thanksgiving dinners. You just have to get yourself invited to someone's home. That's the tricky part.

Working on that one

That even one or two Coz restaurants offer a "traditional Thanksgiving dinner" really says something about how dependent Coz is on visitors from the US. It would be hard enough finding that in Mexico City--an enormous place where pretty much anything can be found. But that you can find it in little Cozumel really says something. I can see why Coz is so popular with American retirees.

We ate at Rock 'N Java last year for thanksgiving and it was delicious.Rock 'N Java thanksgiving 2.jpg Rock 'N Java thanksgiving.jpg

That even one or two Coz restaurants offer a "traditional Thanksgiving dinner" really says something about how dependent Coz is on visitors from the US. It would be hard enough finding that in Mexico City--an enormous place where pretty much anything can be found. But that you can find it in little Cozumel really says something. I can see why Coz is so popular with American retirees.

I'm not sure where you've lived overseas, but everywhere I've lived one would be able to find Thanksgiving dinner in a restaurant. For that matter, I can find Bastille Day or Día de la Independencía menus or celebrations even in little ol' rural New Hampshire. The world is a big place and people travel all over it. People like a taste of home when they're far from there on holidays.

Add to that the fact that many outside a culture appreciate some of that culture's traditions - my German girlfriend loved Independence Day and Thanksgiving meals at our house, for example. My Mexican friends tend to love pumpkin and apple pies in particular, but given how Mexican turkey is, that's sort of a natural for them as well.

Americans flock to Italian, Mexican, French, Indian, and other "ethnic" restaurants and Mexicans love American food. That McDonald's back by Sam's and the Burger King on 30 aren't selling burgers to cruise passengers, nor is Kozumel Fried Chicken selling their "KFC" to many tourists. I haven't quite figured out why so many local families like Hooters so much, but they sure do.

I think you have the connection backwards. Cozumel offers 4th of July celebrations (and Oktoberfest, and more), traditional American holiday meals, and such because there are so many foreign retirees on the island - thousands of them! It's not tourists going to the parks for the 4th, it's locals, some of whom are islanders by birth and others of whom are islanders by choice. They all love a good hot dog and fireworks.

If I were on the island on Thanksgiving without a kitchen, I'd likely book a table at Rock 'n Java. Lisa knows what's up when it comes to food.

There are other American restaurateurs on the island, but I don't know how many of them will be doing a Thanksgiving menu.

Back
Top Bottom