Trailer for RIB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Questions on choosing the appropriate trailer for a RIB:

1. Are trailers follow certain standards so one can buy a trailer from one manufacturer for a RIB that is different from the trailer mfg. based on size and weight specs?

2. If I have a RIB that is 6.5 meters long and weighs with payload Xlbs, can I get a suitable trailer from a trailer mfg. that would work for this RIB?

3. What specs do I need to know about the RIB to be able to select the appropriate trailer for this RIB?

4. Are all trailers the same or are there features that I need to look for in the trailer?

Hi Burhan - I think the RIB manf. could specify a suitable trailer for the RIB. And there are a whole lot of them out there. Just for fun I would peruse Defender's website Boat Trailers on Sale from Defender Most of these models have bunks that can be adjusted to handle just about any type of small watercraft.

You'll need to know the total weight of RIB, motor, gas, anchor, and anything that will be in the RIB when on the highway.

You'll need to know the horizontal distance from the back of the transom to the front of the bow eye.

You'll need to know the width of the RIB about where the fenders will be.

You'll need to work with the trailer dealer.

IF you can get a trailer where the boats sits between the fenders (as opposed to above the fenders),
that will make launching and retrieving easier. That trailer can be hard to find for a RIB.

A long tongue is good too.

Salt water boat? You absolutely want a galvanized or aluminum trailer,

I just replaced the trailer under my 17' Boston Whaler. Those were the key dimensions. A cooperative dealer is
critical (mine was three states away -- nearest dealer for the brand I wanted).

Chuck

Back
Top Bottom