Training Dives at Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bc214

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys. I have a quick question relating to training at Dutch Springs. I have been out there a handful of times since my OW cert, but mostly just do basic dives and OW skills. I recently picked up a pony bottle/reg set, as well as a SMB and reel for use (eventually) on NJ wreck dives.

Is there any issue with deploying the safety sausage a bunch of times to get familiar with it? Will anyone misinterpret a deployed marker and expect it to be something other than training? If so, is there a way to work around accidentally alerting staff/fellow divers, or will everyone just assume it training?

Thanks, as always.

-BC

I think you are fine, I have yet to see the "alert 5 diver" go into action upon seeing an SMB deployed at Dutch. If you came up flailing your arms and screaming that would be a whole other conversation.

Deploying an SMB doesn't automatically translate into we have an emergency underwater. If that is what your intention for deploying an SMB you should discuss that with the captain of whatever boat you are on.

I don't know Dutch, but I know a lot of DIR divers dive there. If it's anything like our local training site, there will be several bags up at any given time, from teams practicing various skills. Anyplace you have GUE divers, you have bags :)

Or you can get a 50 or 100# lift bag and use a marker to make it completely benign. Use your printer to make oversize letters, place inside and trace. Knock yourself out with it in the quarry or ocean, nobody needs to be notified. Initials on one side, the big "OK" on the other.

-quite useful to have on hand for sending those large bags of mussels topside.

LiftBag.jpeg

Have been training at Dutch for years, we shoot bags all of the time. Never has been an issue, as far as I know.

As a courtesy you may want to stop by first & talk to the observers to let them know what you are doing.

Why is there an assumption that a deployed smb means emergency?

Deployed bag/SMB in the ocean-cause for concern.
Deployed bag/SMB in the quarry-most often a training exercise.

At least in my experience. YMMV:cool2:

Why is there an assumption that a deployed smb means emergency?

In the ocean, on a tied-in boat, it is something that needs attention. With luck, it is just an object that is too heavy for the diver to feel comfortable taking along on the ascent. -big bag of mussels or scallops, an anchor lost on the wreck, etc. If the diver shoots it correctly, it will drift alongside the boat and it can be hooked and brought on board with little effort if noticed in time. This will be done quickly to get rid of the nuisance line now running along the upline. The other BIG possibility is someone in trouble.

Deployed bag/SMB in the ocean-cause for concern. ...

Yes, someone yelling "Bag on surface!" gets a lot of attention from a tied-in boat. OTOH, it *usually* means just another stop for a free boat on a drift dive.

Deployed bag/SMB in the ocean-cause for concern.
Deployed bag/SMB in the quarry-most often a training exercise.

At least in my experience. YMMV:cool2:

Where I dive almost every dive finishes doing a safety stop under a DSMB unless the skipper explicitly asks for a return to shot. Surfacing other than on the shot without an SMB would raise an alarm IF the boat noticed. A yellow SMB has different meaning.

Where is an SMB an emergency signal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom