Training for Solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver:
He just needed the cert so that he could dive with his wife at a resort on vacation...

Same reason I got the cert.

TomP:
Ironically this is pretty much how I learned to dive back in the early 70's. A quick lesson from my friends father in another friends 4 foot pool. A quick read of 'Let's go diving' and 'The New Science of Skin and SCUBA diving' and I was practically an instructor. Just keep it under 60 feet for 60 minutes, don't hold your breath, when it gets hard to breathe its time to go, but don't pass your bubbles on the way up. What could be simpler.
Yup, did it all on my own. Well, if you don't count my friends father or the authors of the books. I even learned a thing or two from my instructor when I finally got certified in 77.

I realize alot of folks started out that way, but that was a different time with different standards, neither good nor bad, what I'm saying is that to be able and comfortable to dive solo takes more than a simple mindset which is what I think walter is trying to say if I understand him correctly. And even you said you learned a thing or two from your instructor lol.

divemaster_jim:
I realize alot of folks started out that way, but that was a different time with different standards, neither good nor bad, what I'm saying is that to be able and comfortable to dive solo takes more than a simple mindset which is what I think walter is trying to say if I understand him correctly. And even you said you learned a thing or two from your instructor lol.

But it's not about time or standards. The printed word has all the information necessary about diving. It is the person's ability or inability to process and apply that information is what matters. Some can do very well on their own and some need a translator of that information(teacher). But to say everyone needs a teacher is not true. Many people are self taught in many fields. Some go on to achive things that people who were taught by teachers never achive. One size doesn fit all.

JessH:
Great suggestions. While the usefulness of a solo course is debateable I think all of these classes you listed will help to make you a better diver and help you develop the skills to dive safely, even solo.

~Jess

I agree. I interviewed a few instructors about the curriculum for the SDI Solo class a while back. Its a watered down version of a good Deep class. Gas mgt, shooting a marker buoy, remedial navigation.

captain:
But it's not about time or standards. The printed word has all the information necessary about diving. It is the person's ability or inability to process and apply that information is what matters. Some can do very well on their own and some need a translator of that information(teacher). But to say everyone needs a teacher is not true. Many people are self taught in many fields. Some go on to achive things that people who were taught by teachers never achive. One size doesn fit all.

Certainly everyone does not need a teacher and I'm not sure anyone suggested they do. There are many ways to learn - instruction being one of them - and they need not be mutually exclusive or the same for every endeavor.

What I disagree with is that if someone elects instruction as a learning method then they are somehow less capable than one who doesn't.

captain:

We don't use the same equipment, we don't use the same tables, we use more than one gas, It's apples and oranges here, the ablilty to process is the only thing that hasn't changed. We all learn either through formal or infomal avenues. All I'm trying to say is that to base experience only on going solo is "silly"

BTW that's all i'm gonna say my head hurts,,,:thinking:

IMHO Solo Training is more about the opportunity to talk through the what-ifs. I found that very valuable.

Does taking a solo diving class really prepare you for diving solo? So you take the class, the instructor covers gas management, and maybe some other topics that are generally covered in detail in most advanced or master level classes. Do some dives with the instructor, shoot a bag or two, show proficiency in some self help emergency situations, and maybe depending on the instructor some 'comfort drills'. Either way there's someone else in the water with you, which is a big difference than being comfortble once you jump in the water and are all by yourself.
I didn't read all 7 pages of this thread so if I'm rehashing something or beating a deadhorse then I appologize. But IMO you are the only one that can really decide if you are ready to jump in the water with some mechanical equipment and survive on your own. Your comfort level and your honest personal evaluation of your own experience and skills are the two things which I think are key. It's your life, not the guy's who is signing off on your 'solo diving cert'.

A solo diving cert card is another way for agencies to sell bogus crap that you don't need. IE: Fish ID Certification, Boat Diving Cert, Drift Diver, National Geographic Diver, Underwater Navigator, I mean what the hell are those, how hard is it to back roll off a boat, follow your compas, and look up some fish in a book. All of those things should be covered in a proper advanced class.

divemaster_jim:
We don't use the same equipment, we don't use the same tables, we use more than one gas, It's apples and oranges here, the ablilty to process is the only thing that hasn't changed. We all learn either through formal or infomal avenues. All I'm trying to say is that to base experience only on going solo is "silly"

BTW that's all i'm gonna say my head hurts,,,:thinking:

Explain "silly" please.

Kangy:

A solo diving cert card is another way for agencies to sell bogus crap that you don't need. IE: Fish ID Certification, Boat Diving Cert, Drift Diver, National Geographic Diver, Underwater Navigator, I mean what the hell are those, how hard is it to back roll off a boat, follow your compas, and look up some fish in a book. All of those things should be covered in a proper advanced class.

Couldn't you apply the same rationale to an advanced class?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom