Training!! I Need Training!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adutto

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Guys,
since I began diving more than 10 years ago I've been trying to improve my video quality but I'm nothing but disappointed with my results...
Seems that nothing I do improves the quality, not even the countless hours I spend in Final Cut trying to improve me deficient raw takes.

Right now, I'm diving with a Sony Handycam HDR-XR260 Camcorder with a couple of SOLA Video 2500 lights, the setup is quite good, but obviously the cameraman not...

:surrender:

I need help, I want to take a course but can seem to find anything pre-packaged that suits the need... So, if anyone has a recommendation on how to proceed, or a suggestion on someone that can dive with me and give me the 100% honest feedback and tips I need, I'm all ears!

Thanks for reading thru my self-frustration hehehe :thumb:

If you can post a few short clips it would help the pros diagnose? I am hoping to learn too.

Gladly!

Here's my """"""Best""""""" work, with the cuts that made it thru...

EDIT: These are the one taken with the set-up mentioned above.

Last edited:
I think they look very good.

I'm no expert, but I have found my videos are steadier with a wide base tray to hold onto. Also, the more your rig weighs, the more mass there is to resist motion. My video camera is Gopro size and I am considering adding lead and a float to my rig so it has more mass but stays neutral in the water.

You didn't mention filters on your rig. I find a big improvement using red (for blue water) or magenta (for green) for the long shots that your lights can't reach. Just remember to get them off when the light goes on.

I think they look very good.

I'm no expert, but I have found my videos are steadier with a wide base tray to hold onto. Also, the more your rig weighs, the more mass there is to resist motion. My video camera is Gopro size and I am considering adding lead and a float to my rig so it has more mass but stays neutral in the water.

You didn't mention filters on your rig. I find a big improvement using red (for blue water) or magenta (for green) for the long shots that your lights can't reach. Just remember to get them off when the light goes on.

I use the filters just like you do, but I hardly ever take them away, even with the lights on! good tip! I'll try it this weekend.

Are you/can you white balance underwater? That purpleish hue to the water at about 1:00 on the Helma Hooker clip is pretty distinctive of a red filter without white balancing. If you can, you should be white balancing with any significant depth changes - more often in shallow water, less often in deeper water. Also your shots need to be slower and more stable- which is the problem with about 99% of people that shoot underwater:).

As far as classes, if you can't find someone that has something pre-packaged, find your favorite videographer and ask them how much it would cost to do a video course. I have asked a few great cave photographers (Becky Kagan-Schott and Jill Heinerth for example) about doing a cave photo class and all were more than happy to schedule one for a reasonable day-rate. I haven't had a chance to follow up with anyone for an actual class, but it is just a matter of making it a priority on my part.

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom