Training ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MDWreckdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
To start off, before I get into the training plan, I think it is best to touch on a nutrition plan. I think anyone that really wants to see results will need to combine both a solid training plan with a complimentary nutrition plan. That being said, I really “try” to eat pretty healthy. Please understand, I’m not a total health nut and I do indulge in something at least once a week as a treat to myself. I think it is important to do this otherwise this just may seem like a “diet”. I would like to think of it as a lifestyle change…kind of like the first time you went diving…pretty much changed things huh? :wink: I would try and approach training with the same enthusiasm.
I more or less try to stick to a fairly low carb diet. I pretty much avoid all fast foods like the plague. When training I stick to the 6 meal a day plan, meaning 3 larger meals and 3 snacks. I try to eat plenty of clean proteins (fish/chicken) with a combination of fresh vegetables and fruits. Portion control is key, as is, knowing your caloric intake required for your desired weight and specific training requirements. I have kind of made my own meal plan adapted from the Zone diet and different Triathlon training diets to meet my needs. I can go into more detail on my nutrition ideas and supplements later if anyone is interested.
With regards to training I have pretty much adopted a combination of Triathlon Training, Circuit Training, and P90x. I try to schedule a workout twice a day. Three days a week I take my lunch break time (1 hr) and either run 3 miles, bike 10 miles, or swim .5 mile. Six days a week I train for approximately 1.5 hours before dinner time. During the evenings I start off with a P90x routine for an hour. Afterwards, I opt for 30 minutes of circuit training or cardio. I usually take either Saturday or Sunday off depending on my schedule.
I have found the work outs in the P90x routine to be far more beneficial than just going to gym and lifting weights or jumping on a treadmill/elliptical machine. Don’t get me wrong I still like to hop on the elliptical a couple of times a week for that extra 30min in the evenings. I have just really had a good time with the P90x program and when combined with some other workouts it really worked for me.
I used this plan to compete in my first Tri (just a Sprint) two years ago and it got me through it. I also wanted you all to know that I am not a professional trainer nor am I nutritionist…this plan just works for me and I thought I’d share-perhaps it could work for you too.

I must say that out of everything I have done in my life training wise, the best thing I have found for dive fitness is the punch bag, 3x3 min rounds 3 times a week as a warmup b4 I lift.
It has made the world of difference in the amount of air I use as well as lumbering up and down from the slip I dive from in my gear.

I do a bootcamp style circuit-training class for 2 hours 3x/week, and pilates/vinyasa yoga for 1 hour 2-3x/week. Weekends are usually spent crewing on the boat, hauling tanks and getting divers in and out of the water. When it's not too dark, I ride my bike to and from the slip (about 4 miles round trip).

I find that with this regime I can eat more or less whatever I want and still get up the ladder in HP120 doubles just fine :) The secret for me, though, is the cross-training. If I don't do everything, my strength and flexibility suffer measurably.

Cross training is key. I have been on both sides or the aerobic/ anaerobic spectrum so far in my life, once while purely powerlifting, once during a phaze{lasting 3 years} where I got sucked into the Ironman. To be honest, I was never happy at either end. Now at 38, I like to lift, bike, and a small bit of pilates . Once I added the bag work into the mix, I found myself using way less air than everyone else.
I dont run much anymore.

Back
Top Bottom