Training on Different System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBFG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So I have the chance next summer to potentially train with a SM instructor while i'm on vacation.
There are no sidemount instructor near where i will live after this summer.

The shop specialized in tech training and tech dive and they seem pretty good. I do not own a SM system yet and the shop only trains on Hollis. I intend on going the XDeep route myself.
Is it worth it to get training done on that system or I would just waste my time and money?
I won't be able to get my own SM rig before hand so i'll have to use theirs.

I think that the training can still be valuable as the principles and drills shouldn't change even if you dive on a different system. I dive at home with AL bottle and that's what I would use there as well. the other difference is that I would dive in a wet suit during the course but would dive dry at home.

What do you all think?

If they only train on a Hollis run from them. If it is an SMS 100 or 75 they suck especially for aluminum tanks. The Katana is better but for some reason they didn't make the spine adjustable. I am highly skeptical of any instructor who just trains on one brand. I understand the Razor guys as they are marketing a product. But just a regular instructor I would question it. If you are wanting to take a class I would recommend a cavern or an intro to tec class like GUE fundies. If you have a good instructor it will be the best class you ever had.

So I have the chance next summer to potentially train with a SM instructor while i'm on vacation.

i am not sure what this comment means ? i know there are sm instructors in calgary. they also use xdeep. so unless they are moving away i would look into that.

as far as training on a diff system......it would of course be best to get your xdeep before training and do the course with an instr that uses an xdeep but if that is not possible or if the instr will not do it then there are a few things to consider.

over all i agree that any good quality training is always an advantage. so even if you did the course in a hollis sms 75 for example, i agree that you will still learn the basic fundamentals. the disadvantage is that when you do get your xdeep it will probably take you longer to sort out how to make it work best for you then it would had you done your training in it.

not sure what your plan is for your holidays next year but if it is really important to you to get training in an xdeep then perhaps change your plans to visit a destination that offers that as an option.

If you are wanting to take a class I would recommend a cavern or an intro to tec class like GUE fundies. If you have a good instructor it will be the best class you ever had.

GUE classes are only in BM doubles, correct? Yes, the class would benefit any diver, but if someone wants to learn SM, a SM-specific class would be probably more beneficial.

As for the SMS75 with aluminum tanks, I know someone who makes it work well for them.

GUE classes are only in BM doubles, correct? Yes, the class would benefit any diver, but if someone wants to learn SM, a SM-specific class would be probably more beneficial.

As for the SMS75 with aluminum tanks, I know someone who makes it work well for them.

I resemble that remark. As far as the SMS75 with Aluminums, it can be done without too much fuss. My non-professional opinion would be to find an instructor that teaches (ideally with a shop that rents) whatever system you want to ultimately use. A couple years ago I went diving in Key Largo with my SMS75 (new to it at the time), the DM on the boat also dove side mount (Razor). He had just got back from Mexico where his instructor was. Me being the inquisitive type, and new to SM, asked him for some pointers. He proceeded to completely reconfigure my cold water rig to try and mimic his own warm water rig. Long story short, it was a disaster (for me) and he was scratching his head trying to figure out why it wasn't working. Looking back and knowing more now, I can laugh at it.
I love my SMS75 by the way...ability to convert to single/twinset back mount in 2 minutes has been great for our travels. I can appreciate the warm water rig minimalist design though and may explore them in the future.

The shop specialized in tech training and tech dive and they seem pretty good. I do not own a SM system yet and the shop only trains on Hollis. I intend on going the XDeep route myself.
Is it worth it to get training done on that system or I would just waste my time and money?
I won't be able to get my own SM rig before hand so i'll have to use theirs.

I think that the training can still be valuable as the principles and drills shouldn't change even if you dive on a different system. I dive at home with AL bottle and that's what I would use there as well. the other difference is that I would dive in a wet suit during the course but would dive dry at home.

What do you all think?

Head to Edmonton or Calgary for a weekend or two to get trained on the system you want to dive, or try out several options (if the instructor/store can support it).... The Dive Shop in Calgary is predominantly Hollis, but are setting up with XDeep, and most of their instructors dive both systems.

The biggest question is, what kind of diving do you want to accomplish with Side Mount?

If they only train on a Hollis run from them. If it is an SMS 100 or 75 they suck especially for aluminum tanks. The Katana is better but for some reason they didn't make the spine adjustable. I am highly skeptical of any instructor who just trains on one brand. I understand the Razor guys as they are marketing a product. But just a regular instructor I would question it. If you are wanting to take a class I would recommend a cavern or an intro to tec class like GUE fundies. If you have a good instructor it will be the best class you ever had.

If all you are diving is going to be cold water and/or steel tanks, the Hollis systems work for that. That is what these systems are designed for (Steel tanks)

You have to realize what the dealer networks are. XDeep isn't is big as Huish for distribution in these parts. It's like with restaurants with Coke or Pepsi.... it's a choice.

Fundies and other intro to tech/cave courses can be an excellent course for any diver, but it does not address what the OP is looking to do (take a SM course).

_R

thanx. Yeah I know there are some training in Calgary but unfortunate the military is moving me away to a place where this is no dive shop near.

As for my vacation it’s a family one in DR. I will continue to hunt down a shop but this may be it.
I really want to get into SM so I though, why not get a course while I’m there.

I want to do local dives in SM and while I travel. I’m interested I. Wreck diving with some deco. Maybe years later cave.

Are the fundamentals that different with a Hollis rig vs a XDeep?

I have had sidemount training in both a Hollis SMS 75 with steels and drysuit and a Razor diving wet with al 80’s. It’s not only a consideration of different rigs and rigging but also different instructors. Each instructor seems to have their own preferences even beyond the rig. And then there is the difference between the tanks and between diving wet or dry.

So quite a few variables that you will have to adjust too. But for me, I actually enjoy learning different systems and ways of doing things, one reason I have dove with many different instructors and agencies over the years. If this appeals to you too then go for it, especially if you are able to rent the gear rather than buy.

If however you don’t adapt well to change amd absolute know what gear you want to dive, waiting to find the right fit in instructor may be the better choice.

I'd contact Protec in Playa del Carmen to see whether they know of any XDeep instructors in the DR. There's an active cave diving community there, and the guys at Protec helped design the XDeep system, so they should be able to point you to an instructor there if there is one. It's a great system.

I am definitely quite adaptable. Thanx for your view @uncfnp.

That’s a great suggestion@rongoodman!
I’ll definitely do that

Back
Top Bottom