Training on Different System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Steve Martin
I like your format that’s for sure. I think e learning is the way of the future.

What I dislike about your program is really the length of the “rental”.

For someone that already has a SM rig it’s ok I suppose, if they dive often and can adjust and go and rewatch.

For someone like me who wants to learn about SM it would be absolutely great to watch all these videos prior to my training but if I don’t go and dice SM for another year, I’d have to buy them again.
That’s 1 year duration to me is a big draw back. If not I would have probably bought the videos already!

Jon

@Steve Martin
I like your format that’s for sure. I think e learning is the way of the future.

What I dislike about your program is really the length of the “rental”.

For someone that already has a SM rig it’s ok I suppose, if they dive often and can adjust and go and rewatch.

For someone like me who wants to learn about SM it would be absolutely great to watch all these videos prior to my training but if I don’t go and dice SM for another year, I’d have to buy them again.
That’s 1 year duration to me is a big draw back. If not I would have probably bought the videos already!

Jon

Hi Jon, thank you for feedback and your thoughts on this video based eLearning I am offering.

Regarding the renewal, there is 2 things to know. It either costs you just 20% of the original cost to renew for another year OR you can recommend one person who uses your unique referral code, they get 5% off when they buy and you get your renew completely FREE. So if someone recommends 2 people they won't have to pay for renewal for 2 years, it is all explained in detail here Renewals and Referrals | sidemounting.com

I hope you now see this as a fair investment and start your training with me?

Regards, Steve

To return (with a little bit of amateur anecdotal material about training on a different system) ...

I took my sidemount course, almost at a whim, when I was in Pattaya, Thailand and found it offered by the dive shop near my hotel. My instructor used Hollis SMS100s, and consequently I learned Florida-style, with weights on my (aluminum) tanks and trim-weights on my shoulder-straps ... and afterwards, when I returned to the USA, I converted my venerable DiveRite Transpac and Trek wings to "Nomad" side-mount configuration. And I dove with that rig for a little over a year, and just short of 40 dives -- remember, I'm strictly a VACATION diver -- before I decided to buy a better side-mount rig. (Yeah, I was making it work, more-or-less, but horseshoe wings are meant for back-mounted doubles, and the "taco effect" withstood my best attempts to rein them in.)

I checked out the Hollis SMS Katana in July 2016 -- in the training pool of the Washington, DC area's Hollis dealer -- and I bought it before either it or I had more than a token chance to dry out! I'm not saying it was perfect for me, off the hanger, but I was neutral and flat in the water-column with substantially less weight than I'd needed for my old rig (even allowing for the difference between sea-water and pool-water). The Katana STILL needed more adjustment, but it was way closer to "ideal" with the aluminum tanks I was using -- with 30 bar (500 PSI) in both tanks, clipped low 'Mexico' style!

attachment.php

(Obviously, this is not in the pool.)

The Katana is a great rig for me -- for vacation-diving, as an admitted air-hog, ready to shift my tanks from 'high/heavy' D-rings over my kidneys to 'low/light' rings closer to my belly-button. I've added weight-pockets to its waist-belt, to keep my trim, and I've done pretty well at compensating for the 'negative buoyancy' of my camera and video lights ... and yeah, I can still do the 'sidemount tricks,' such as unhooking the tanks at their tails and swinging them up in front of me, that make side-mount so very valuable in close quarters such as wreck-penetration and cave/cavern diving.

But I might have gotten better, sooner, if I'd trained with a 'Mexico-style' sidemount rig in the first place.

For your information..

From quite a few peoples input, I decided to change my 1 year subscription to 2 years!! This is still at the same price so an amazing deal.

Actually if you sign up right now, or before Tuesday 28 Nov 2017, you will get the 25% OFF Black Friday weekend deal.

sidemounting.com |

Details about that watch this video:

Regards, Steve

Back
Top Bottom