Training today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yotsie:
We have body bags that have a plastic coated mesh bottom so they'll drain as we surface the body. I believe they're made here locally. They are bright yellow and the zippers have a small float on them, so it's easier to find (although I will try a chem light next time).
The cool thing is they can be decon'd and re-used and we have an agreement with our deputy coroners to have them cleaned and ready to pickup within 3 days of it hitting the facility.

I'll get the company name and info if any of you are interested. We've used them for the last 6 years and have only had to replace one.

Paul

I'm interested give me a shout.

Most unattended deaths of bodies have to be treated as homicides. It is unwise to re-use body bags as it can contaminate trace evidence or make any evidence found on a body suspect or inadmissable if it is learned that body bags are re-used. A recommended technique for draining water from body bags is to install grommets in the bag. These grommets can be the cheap plastic ones that snap together that you can get from the camping section of Walmart, etc. Before snapping the grommet together, sandwich a small piece of screen or mosquito net material between the grommet halves. Water will drain, but the screen will retain trace evidence that otherwise may be washed out. Works very well and is inexpensive. Prepare body bag ahead of time.

james croft:
Most unattended deaths of bodies have to be treated as homicides. It is unwise to re-use body bags as it can contaminate trace evidence or make any evidence found on a body suspect or inadmissable if it is learned that body bags are re-used. A recommended technique for draining water from body bags is to install grommets in the bag. These grommets can be the cheap plastic ones that snap together that you can get from the camping section of Walmart, etc. Before snapping the grommet together, sandwich a small piece of screen or mosquito net material between the grommet halves. Water will drain, but the screen will retain trace evidence that otherwise may be washed out. Works very well and is inexpensive. Prepare body bag ahead of time.
DRI has mesh bags available. We don't use them for a number of reasons such as the one above. Stay with the black bags.

Gary D,

Well this weekend I had my first experience with a body bag that was clear. I cannot figure out why someone would make one like that. We ended up placing that bag into a black bag before we got to shore. Give me the bags you can't see through. Anyone ever seen those?

james croft:
Well this weekend I had my first experience with a body bag that was clear. I cannot figure out why someone would make one like that. We ended up placing that bag into a black bag before we got to shore. Give me the bags you can't see through. Anyone ever seen those?
Kind of defeats one of the reasons for bagging someone. How thick are they and what's the quality like?

Gary D.

It was fairly thin, but held up even though the victim was bagged in the water. We later got a black bag and slid the first bag and victim in it. Maybe useful to have a clear bag in a morgue, but not in the field.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom